Powered Speakers - turning on and off

tromba

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have some JBL LSR305 speakers on my desk and am planning on getting the LSR310s subwoofer. The power switch on these is in the back and can't be conveniently reached from the desk. If I had something like a powerstrip or maybe a Furman M-8x2 that could be in a stereo rack on my desk would leaving the speakers on all the time and powering them up with the power strip do any damage to the speakers?

I have some JBL LSR305 speakers on my desk and am planning on getting the LSR310s subwoofer. The power switch on these is in the back and can't be conveniently reached from the desk. If I had something like a powerstrip or maybe a Furman M-8x2 that could be in a stereo rack on my desk would leaving the speakers on all the time and powering them up with the power strip do any damage to the speakers?
No.

I use one of these deals. It senses when a component is consuming more power (I use one of my monitors) and turns on the other outlets automatically. This way when your monitor goes to sleep, the outlets go off.

I don't like leaving the powered sub woofer "on" even in standby since we don't use the surround system much.
I keep it plugged into the switched outlet on the receiver. When that's turned off the sub is also.
No problems so far with that or any other components I have set up similarly.

I don't like leaving the powered sub woofer "on" even in standby since we don't use the surround system much.
I keep it plugged into the switched outlet on the receiver. When that's turned off the sub is also.
No problems so far with that or any other components I have set up similarly.
Technically you're asking for trouble - check the power rating on the subwoofer's amp and also on the max power of the switched outlet. Usually they're only rated for 100 watts or so. Of course, if you've been running it this way for long, it's probably not an issue.

Technically you're asking for trouble - check the power rating on the subwoofer's amp and also on the max power of the switched outlet. Usually they're only rated for 100 watts or so. Of course, if you've been running it this way for long, it's probably not an issue.
I was thinking of something like a Furman M-8x2, but I can't see specs that make sense. The LSR310s is 200 watts and the LSR305s are 82 watts each. The Furman is rated 15 amps. I don't know how to relate stuff like this.

And at this point there is no other audio in the chain - computer to DAC to LSR305s (hopefully adding in a LSR310s)

While I wouldn't go cheap there are power strips where you can turn the individual outlets off... if you have a computer within distance a lot of UPS have software where you can set outlets to go on or off on timers (not positive, sure I've seen that in reviews but not cheap either). Or a powerstrip and a digital timer with the spkrs on the timer to turn on and off at a set time. heh, or I'm talking outta my arse and clueless, it's possible.

While I wouldn't go cheap there are power strips where you can turn the individual outlets off... .
Or you can use what I linked to in my first post. Regarding converting watts to amps, just divide by the voltage (don't they teach this in high school physics any more?). According to my father, who was an electrical engineer, it's not precise with A/C, but should be close enough. At any rate you're talking about less than 4 amps total.

Power strip will be fine. Been using one for 10 years + to minimize power up thump from computer.

Its actually beneficial if the power strip has surge protection. I don't like plugging any of my gear directly into a wall, it freaks me out.

Back
Top Bottom