Powerful 1000 watt Tube amp video playing the organ of Notre Dame de Paris, Fun stuff !

I love to see what seems line voltage regulators glowing in tune with the amp's demand.
Very cool.

Last edited:
Those are the mercury vapor rectifier tubes. Six of them for the output B+, since it's a full-wave three-phase power supply.

The two in the front are for the smaller tubes (input and drivers)

What I dig about it, is that you can see the output tubes heat up, in the louder passages, due to increased plate current. The yellow spots on the tube plates get bigger and bigger. And it's ENTIRELY NORMAL for this to happen. That's just cool.

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
While not nearly as entertaining to watch, a reviewer friend of mine had a pair of VTL Wotans driving his big Nolas back in '01. While rated about a kilowatt in tetrode, he ran them triode for only 600 watts. I fully appreciated his concept of "authority" hearing them. After that experience, I purchased a pair of little brothers with a third the power and number of tubes.

No cool mercury vapor types, just a couple dozen 6550Cs per amp. :)

wotan_r.jpg

If you want to recreate a bit of that soundstage at home, listen to a weekly public radio show called "Pipe Dreams" with Michael Barone. You can directly stream it here. Use your big speakers and/or a sub. You're going to need it.

Even better is to hear a pipe organ live. On Dec. 31st, a friend and I went to hear a free concert at the big Christian Science church in Boston. A large pipe organ with 13,500 pipes being played by a skilled organist is an amazing thing to hear. Check this listing for some events.

I confess that I'm not a major organ music fan but I enjoy some of it. For sheer power and awe, you can't beat it.

Here's somebody with TWO of them- playing stereo!

If you check out that poster's other videos- you can see videos of where he restores these amps...

Regards,
Gordon.

Fascinating approach. Haven't seen larger RF tubes used for commercial audio like this.
The power level puts the modern commercial switch mode amps into perspective.

You just know you're in the ''big'' leagues when the chassis requires flat bar,round bar,square tubing,gusseted joints and a welding machine:)
Removing the two lower bolts in the A-frames allows the unit to rotate for service.Nothing says high voltage like ceramic-post terminals....

Back
Top Bottom