Pray with me a turntable survives FedEx

bully

I packed it in a big computer box. Man-oh-man I hope it makes the trip im the condition it was when packed. It is my old Technics' SL-1400Mk2 with a good Ortofon MC10 cartridge.
It has to go from Lincoln, NE to Auburn, KY.
That puppy is a heavy tt. About 25 lbs.

A friend told me the other day that a steel golf club shaft he had ordered didn't survive FedEx. Better luck to you.

Bob

pete, I imagine you did the neccesary stuff to protect it from the shipping gorillas. Removed and boxed seperately the dustcover and platter. Removed and wrapped the headshell. Securely fastened down the tonearm. Used lots of bubblewrap, tightly filled all of the voids with no chance of it shifting and double boxed using heavy boxes. That ought to give it a 50-50 chance of getting there alive. I hate it when things apparently get kicked from one location to the other.

Whoops, sorry. I see you wanted assurance. I bet it will be just fine. I have had excellent results using FedEx Ground and they are my shipper of choice. Not to worry!! I will cross a few digits for ya just to make sure.

Our Turntables who art in heaven please look down favorably on this brother or sisters of yours long journey :angel:

ZebraBlvd said:
Our Turntables who art in heaven please look down favorably on this brother or sisters of yours long journey :angel:

:lmao: :thmbsp:

Scott

Patron saint of transportation (AFAIK) is St. Christopher. I put in a plug for you:)
Tom

I've had three Duals sacrificed to the Knuckle Draggers of Oops , and quit buying them.

After a brief period of recovery, I summoned first a Yamaha YP-211 into my home via the Lord of Brown, then an EB-101 and lastly a Sota Sapphire...all surviving the perilous voyage by wing & wheel unscathed.

I look upon those early losses as signs pointing me from the land of the Teutons, turning my eyes both east and west.

Guess it kinda depend on what your aural muse wants you to play with! :music:

If one packs the turntable as it was when shipped from the factory, wouldn't that keep it reasonably safe? Or did the manufacturers distribute prayer-cards to their employees to invoke a Higher Power as their goods left the factory? ;)

Hilltroll67 said:
A friend told me the other day that a steel golf club shaft he had ordered didn't survive FedEx. Better luck to you.

Bob

Way to keep his hopes up :) I ordered a TT off of Ebay a week and a half ago. It shipped from Las Vegas to where I live (Versailles, KY). It was a JVC QL-F4 weighing in at about 20 pounds. came is a nice sized box. The TT was wrapped in bubble wrap and then surrounded by peanuts. It was a good packing job and made the trip just fine via Fed-Ex.

I'm sure your's will be ok.

I just pray it survives the trip safely but somehow gets mis-directed to somewhere in Indianapolis. Preferably my living room. Someday I'd like to do a listening test on the original series of these technics and the MkIIs. I'm really fond of both my 1500 and more recently acquired 1400.

I'm sittin' here on Pins 'n' Needles waiting to see if a JVC ENG TV camera I won offa You-Know-Where is gonna make it here in one piece or not...I needed this thing like I needed another Hole in my Head...

Relax, I just received an SL-Q2 shipped via USPS ground in packing not nearly as tough as what was described above, and it came out juuuuust fine.

Bully, I know how you feel...soon I'll be shipping my classic '79 SL-1700MK2 from FL to NYC to have its patchcords replaced in favor of a PCB with RCA connectors, and I'm worried how the shipping gorillas will toss it around from truck to truck. Guess I'll have to triple-box it for assurance...damn thing'll weigh 50 lbs. before I'm through with it!

Basically, you have to pack things so that you would feel comfortable throwing it down a flight of stairs. :sigh:

wa2ise said:
Basically, you have to pack things so that you would feel comfortable throwing it down a flight of stairs. :sigh:

...in the middle of a nuclear holocaust. :yes: :D

Jeff

wa2ise said:

Would you ever feel comfortable throwing something down a flight of stairs if you cared for it a lot?

I just shipped an old Sony TT via USPS while on a trip to Philly to meet me back in KC when I got home. Duct-taped down the platter and arm (gently)and taped down lid. I put it in a cardboard box with about 3" of packing peanuts tightly on all sides and top. The guy at the post office marked it "Fragile" and for what it's worth, it came through just fine. I think the best thing of all for packing stuff is that "great stuff" expandable foam in the aerosol can. Wrap your piece in a couple of layers of Saran wrap or other plastic(check for compatiblilty btwn plastic and foam) so it doesn't stick to it, pad bottom of box with something, put item in box and spray that stuff in there so it expands to fill the gaps. Works like a charm. Obviously, ya gotta use some common sense here but after you let it dry (directions on can) seal 'er up and ship it. Person on other end uses razor knife to cut box and foam (carefully) and you got two happy campers. I like to use that foam sheet insulation to pad top and bottom of boxes-1" or 1 1/2" blue stuff.
We send small parts this way in the cabinet industry fairly frequently.
Just my 2 cents
Dan

Joe, a fellow AK'er, just UPS'ed a Dual 1229 from South Jersey to me in Brooklyn. He did some very creative sculpting of styrofoam. This, plus lots of praying, assured a safe arrival. Hope it fares equally well in the return trip, as he sent it here for a rebuild. (SHAMELESS PLUG)

Seth
Forever Analog

Back
Top Bottom