Prayers needed please.

ETLS

metacarpophalangealcranium
Earlier today my neighbor of 22+ years called. I don't have many details yet other than his wife of 54 years had a malignant tumor removed from her brain. She also suffered paralysis on her left side of her body. Prognosis was not optimistic, no other surgeries could be performed if the tumor returns. As I learn more, I'll update this thread.

Robert.

Spoke to Roger just a few moments ago. Jan (75) is showing some progress, the docs have managed to get the swelling in her head somewhat controlled. The CAT scan shows only 90% of the tumor was successfully removed, and they cannot get the rest.

Rog had to make the tough decision to sign a DNR. If she continues to improve, they hope to bring her back home on Sunday. A lot of the family has come down, just got back home from visiting with them.

I hold out hope that she does recover, and I appreciate the thoughts and prayers on my friend's behalf.

Roger and Jan are some of the finest folks I've ever known. For more than a third of my life, they've been right there across the street. That alone, is a testament to their patience and fortitude.

They've been constant companions since she was 21, and he was 19. If memory serves, I think they just celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Rog shares my passion for woodworking, and we converted the barn into the woodshop. Their home, a true log cabin. Time and termites took its toll on some of the bottom logs, so I harvested some timber from my property, and when they were ready to be used, we replaced the rotten ones. I've been their repairman for just about everything that has broken, fried, split, stopped, or gone AWOL. My invoice has always been the same. One home cooked meal. They've returned the kindness many times over.

Through the years, I've met most of the clan, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, spouses, children, and other assorted menagerie. Albeit the red-headed stepchild black sheep of it, they all treat me like family.

Last Monday as I was closing up the woodshop, I wished them luck for the Tuesday morning fishing on the river. Jan had experienced mild headaches and some neck stiffness for about a month to month and a half. Tuesday afternoon, it became severe enough that they cut the trip short and went to the hospital. The CAT scan showed the tumor to be the size of a peach, with tentacles extending outwards. The operation was on Wednesday, and they could only remove approximately 90%, the rest cannot be taken.

The swelling in her brain has slowed, she's showing signs of improvement and is awake, and responsive. She hopes to come home Monday. More than likely, I'll have to modify the downstairs bathroom for accessibility and install grab bars. I'll see what needs to be done to make it as comfortable as possible.

Thank you all for the continued positive thoughts and prayers.

Jan arrived home just a little while ago. Thank you to those who've offered up their positive thoughts and prayers through this past week.

IMG_20170320_131242.jpg

You need to talk Rob, just call. Wish I could do/say more but I got your back when you need me

What truly great neighbours you are to each other! When neighbours get along so well there is strength. It would be great if all neighbours were like this. Praying for you all.

Nothing much can be done, except to make her as comfortable as possible. It most certainly drives home just how fast life can take an unimaginable twist.

Spring has come unusually early this year, the Azaleas and Dogwoods already in full bloom, and have been for a little more than a week. The grass is a beautiful green, the trees lush with new leaves. It's as if Mother Nature knew this would be her last opportunity to take in the beauty of the new season.

Through all the hustle and bustle of family gathering at the house yesterday, I can understand how it slipped their mind, that today was garbage day from their service provider. So I made the trek across the street. I checked the can in the shop, empty, and took the main can out to the street, then walked back home.

The grass is already up enough to need mowing, so I'll take over making sure theirs is done. Roger will have his hands full enough taking care of Jan, I can at least take this burden from his list.

It's what we do. Take care of each other when we have an opportunity to do so. They've never had to worry about a thing when they would take off pulling their fifth wheel for a couple of weeks vacation, or to travel somewhere to lay to rest a family member. They would always arrive back home to find I'd taken care of their 1.75 acres, fed the cats, and placed the unread newspapers in the shop. She loves the crossword puzzles and the coupons. I'd pick up the papers once a week, and shred them for my red wiggler worm bedding.

I've temporarily removed ads I had in Bartertown, as I won't have much free time on my hands, and for how long I'm not certain. Several folks have my phone number to reach me if need be, I'll still check in periodically.

Nothing much can be done, except to make her as comfortable as possible. It most certainly drives home just how fast life can take an unimaginable twist.

I don't know why I'm just seeing this now Robert, Prayers sent and take care of yourself brother. I know how you care about everyone around your and will give the shirt off your back to help in anyway you can.

Call me if you want to talk..

Big thanks to you and Ron, as I deal with this. Although we're just neighbors, and not blood related, it still is as if I'm losing a member of my own family.

I had planned on reducing and eventually moving the woodshop over onto the back part of my property, but now it looks like that process will be much quicker than expected. I've already sold my wood lathe, and several other tools I was no longer using, or had duplicates. There wasn't much sense in having three planers, although it sure made much quicker work doing thickness planing.

It sucks I haven't had enough dirt brought in to fill the spot where I was planning to build the shop here. But that's how life is, it never gives much thought to our plans and schedules. It has its own, and doesn't show us exactly what it has in store for us. Right now that is the least of my worries.

My sister was a critical care nurse who dealt with this kind of care exclusively, and took care of pops during his hospice. Thought she's disabled and unable to help physically, she has offered to be an advisor by phone during this initial transition until hospice kicks in full time. I'll do whatever I can to make sure they have what they need, make room somewhere here for the tools I'll keep, and generally do what I can to shoulder as much burden for them both. That's just how I roll.

As long as I have a roof over my head, a warm meal, a bed, hot shower, and most importantly, a friend or two, I feel good. That's the most important things to me.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Growing up I had neighbors like that. They were elderly then. There names were Bill and Jain, and I was always told to call them Nain and Taid. See Bill was originally from Wales and those names in Welsh means grandma and grandpa. Although I lost them years ago, there faces and the good times we had are forever emblazoned in my head. So even though none of us make it out of this world alive, it still sucks when something happens. I'm sorry for your pain, along with Rog, and Jan's

It's been a busy couple of days. She's cognizant, but it's difficult seeing that long incision stapled closed across her head. It was good to see her eyes open, not much strength in her hand.

One DIL, and one granddaughter are staying over for a while, and taking shifts sleeping in the fifth wheel. They both know to call if they need my help during the night or early morning. She seems to resting well.

Here's the view of the house, the shop is the building to the left. The bridge we built from old railroad timbers.

It's a peaceful quiet spot out here, Jan is resting good. Short term memory isn't there, long term memories are. Her color has improved, speech too but not much change in her grip strength.

The fridge at their house decided to go on vacation, welded on a saddle tap and gave it a charge. We'll see if it holds. In the meantime I have my fridge full from the grocery run. We had to toss a lot of stuff so my garbage can is full too. Things are winding down for the evening, got the yard mowed, hopefully the fridge will hold charge and be fine for a while. Time for me to head across the street and spin a few records.

IMG_20170322_193936.jpg

Back
Top Bottom