Pre-Amp Protection

welcomdmat

I read something recently about a C712 going into protection mode. It was in reference to the red mute light above the volume control.

Can a McIntosh pre-amp go into protection mode? I have had other brand amplifiers go into protection when the power-up has been sequenced incorrectly, but I have not had a pre-amp go into protection. I only had this early in my journey into separates.

I am not sure the person who posted knew what they were talking about, so I want to check if and what on putting a C712 into protection.

Any remote controlled preamp will have two power supplies, a always on with the master switch PS for the remote sensor sub system as well as a main PS for the actual preamp functions.

I could imagine someone contriving a failure of the main PS not turning on as a "protection" mode but most often happens due to a catastrophic lightning issue or failed regulation in the primary power supply.

I would suspect eBay misinformation.......

It seemed all wrong to me. My old B&K amp would rightfully tell me it was not pleased if I turned on things up chain, but that was an amp. I sequence things correctly, and my experience found it odd that a preamp would go into security.

I have turn on my turntable with little regard to what was up chain. I have either put my amp into a switched plug on my preamp, or I have been sure to turn it on last.

Can the C712 go into security and light up the mute light? How could I make this happen? This person was

It seemed all wrong to me. My old B&K amp would rightfully tell me it was not pleased if I turned on things up chain, but that was an amp. I sequence things correctly, and my experience found it odd that a preamp would go into security.

I have turn on my turntable with little regard to what was up chain. I have either put my amp into a switched plug on my preamp, or I have been sure to turn it on last.

Can the C712 go into security and light up the mute light? How could I make this happen? This person was

To the best of my knowledge, the 712 does not have a protect mode. There's also zero references made to such a feature in the owners manual. Logic circuits are used for the remote control and power on mute features, so I can see how that could cause possible issues as referenced in your first post.

While you can connect power amps to the switch outlet on your preamp, I and many other, discourage the practice.

While you can connect power amps to the switch outlet on your preamp, I and many other, discourage the practice.

I agree on the red light over the volume. I felt pretty sure that I knew it was only for mute, but I wanted to ask the question openly and not assume.

For the amp plugged into the switched outlet on my preamp -- how else do you turn your amp on? Do you plug it in and unplug it every time you use it?

I am not asking sarcastically. There is no on/off switch, and I am not sure of the best practice.

I agree on the red light over the volume. I felt pretty sure that I knew it was only for mute, but I wanted to ask the question openly and not assume.

For the amp plugged into the switched outlet on my preamp -- how else do you turn your amp on? Do you plug it in and unplug it every time you use it?

I am not asking sarcastically. There is no on/off switch, and I am not sure of the best practice.

I've owned plenty of switch-less Macs. I either use a power strip switch or just plug them in. You could also replace the AC Outlet with a rocker switch to power the amp on/off. I have a McIntosh in the shop now for new caps and a tune up, and it will come back with a switch in the AC outlet location. It looks clean and factory if done right. Plus, basically no one uses those outlets anyway.

Plus, basically no one uses those outlets anyway.

Was the original intention on the amp to just unplug it when done and then plug it back in?

Thank you for your guidance here! I am certainly not looking to subject my equipment to anything unnecessary.

Was the original intention on the amp to just unplug it when done and then plug it back in?

Thank you for your guidance here! I am certainly not looking to subject my equipment to anything unnecessary.

It's shown that way in the older manuals. You have to remember that house 40+ years ago didn't have outlets everywhere like they do now. The starting impulse current of many amps can present challenges to the switch for the preamp AC outlet.

This has taken a whole different path than the original question.

Can I plug the amp into an unswitched plug in my preamp when I turn the system on? What damage could I cause to my amp (MC2100) by plugging it into the switched plug on my preamp? Does it power-up too quickly?

I will additionally go through the amp owner's manual. I was told a paper copy was coming, and it never did/ I never read it.

This has taken a whole different path than the original question.

Can I plug the amp into an unswitched plug in my preamp when I turn the system on? What damage could I cause to my amp (MC2100) by plugging it into the switched plug on my preamp? Does it power-up too quickly?

I will additionally go through the amp owner's manual. I was told a paper copy was coming, and it never did/ I never read it.

Sure you can plug it into the switched outlet. I choose not to do that. Your amp will be fine. There is a relay that controls the switched outlet; they can and do fail. Honestly, most people do not use the AC outlets on preamps at all...maybe if it's just to power a CD player or turntable....but typically never a power amp.

I choose not to use the switched outlets on my Mac pre's for my 2100's simply because I don't want any added stress on the pre. Depending on what rig I'm using I use either a line switch or a power conditioner that sequences everything correctly.

Back
Top Bottom