1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Amps-If you have and amp with it's own volume control and multiple inputs, what is the point?

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by HiFiJeff, Oct 30, 2018.

1. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

I know my own reasoning for using my dac as a pre-amp as well, it's simply convenience for volume control with a remote and multiple inputs. But what are some of the other major benefits of having a pre-amp? And more so, why have an active pre-amp? Unless you are trying to alter the sound? Which I guess in some cases that's good because of speakers and room acoustics. I don't know, I think lately I have been getting too much into trying to build my system that I have gotten away from my own rule. KISS Keep It Stupid Simple.
    I remember one of my best sounding systems was ridiculously simple. Source-amp-speakers.
    It was a cd player,to a Decware SE84UFO to my Omega SUPER 3XRS's. Sound was sublime.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Active avoids situations in which the source output is too low to reach desired playback levels.

If an amp has multiple inputs and a VC then it is usually an integrated amp. Preamps are needed with power amps. Listening via a great preamp with appropriate speaker and power amp is the best answer to your title question.

3. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Preamp may have different input impedance that better matches your source (resulting in more linear frequency response). Input sensitivity of some power amps might require padding a hot signal.