Pre-in and Main-in

ziaulki

Hi: I just joined this forum few min. ago. I have Technics amp SU-V98. On the back panel there are two sets of rca jacks (4 in all - L/R) that have 2 (U-style) shorting pins in them. Can someone educate me what the purpose of these jacks are? It says Pre-out (L/R) and main-in (L/R). Thanks.

PS: The title of thread is Pre-out and Main-in (sorry about that)

So you can use it for a pre-amp and drive a seperate power amplifier. Or vice versa.

Yup - handy if you intend to drive a separate amplifier instead of using the one that's built into the receiver. Used to be standard fare on a lot of the classic gear.

Another neat trick is to replace the U pin with a Y cable. That allows you to use both an external amp AND the internal ones for bi-amping or driving another room.

It is pre-out and main-in, sometimes called a pre-main coupler, pre-main jacks, etc. A nice feature to have available. Makes that a utility player, it can stand in as a pre or power amp.

What I understand is that we use preout to connect another amp. So what goes into Main-in, then. Thanks.

Nothing more times than not ... removing the jumper won't pass any signal to drive the amps unless you do as I suggested with the Y cables. Basically the internal amps just idle and take up space.

Is it correct to say that if I want to use SU-V98 as a pre-amp then I use pre-out to connect to another power amp
and if I want to use it as a power amplifier then I use the Main-in jacks?
I hope I got that right. Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
Is it correct to say that if I want to use SU-V98 as a pre-amp then I use pre-out to connect to another power amp
Yes, and you can also use RCA Y adapters to connect line level subwoofer inputs and still use the internal amps to drive the main speakers.

Yes, and this flexibility is why I call it a utility player. Don't sell it down the road, it can just come in so handy for troubleshooting, or keeping a system going while something is down, or in-between. Always tried to keep an amp or receiver with pre-mains in my closet, and used 'em.

In all my systems I have 4 speakers. One pair are fed by the receiver's amp and using a Y adapter I feed my pre-out into a second amp that drives the second pair of speaker. It is a very handy thing for a receiver or integrated amp to have. I won't buy either if they do not have a pre-out/main-in.

Just a word of advice: Don't lose those jumpers. Whoever winds up with that unit will appreciate that.

And, like someone else said, if you remove (and save) those jumpers and replace them with a male/male/female "Y" splitter, you can run an interconnect to the line level inputs of a sub-woofer, or simply another power amp driving a different set of speakers.

Just a word of advice: Don't lose those jumpers. Whoever winds up with that unit will appreciate that.

And, like someone else said, if you remove (and save) those jumpers and replace them with a male/male/female "Y" splitter, you can run an interconnect to the line level inputs of a sub-woofer, or simply another power amp driving a different set of speakers.

You got that right. I have my own little rules I follow to help me keep up with jumpers and remotes. For jumpers, if I remove them for cabling, I leave them sitting behind their unit on the shelf in my cabinet. When I move the unit, I reinsert the jumpers. If I'm storing the unit, I leave them in, and tape the remote control to the back panel with packing tape. If you decide to sell, there it all is, and the buyer likes it, and it either lets you ask more for it or makes the sale easier.

If you didn't get a manual with that amp, look for it out on the web (hopefully at Technics). Not that we mind chatting about your amp you understand. Just nice to have a copy.

Back
Top Bottom