Pre out - Power in

Smoking Joe

I was wondering if it is possible to link two integrated amps via pre out /

power in or tape in out and have it work with one of the units off. I would

like to run different amps and speakers with the same sources . Just

wondering if anyone knows or has tried it before I tear my system apart

again.

Just use your extra integrated amp connected to the main integrated amp via the tape out jacks.

Your second integrated amp will work off of the first integrated amp's sources even when the first integrated amp is turned off except for the phono stage on the first integrated amp.

I was wondering if it is possible to link two integrated amps via pre out /

power in or tape in out and have it work with one of the units off. I would

like to run different amps and speakers with the same sources . Just

wondering if anyone knows or has tried it before I tear my system apart

again.

Not clear on what you're trying to do.

If you want to run the same source to two different amps, an A/B switch box for the cables would be fine. If you want two amps to talk to the same speakers, you can get speaker switching boxes that allow this, multiple sources to multiple speakers.

If you're trying to run one integrated amp into another to 'double your power', then no. That won't work. Lots of people seem think it might, though.

So if you can describe a bit more what you actually have in mind, we may be able to assist you.

clarification

I am just trying to have two seperate amp - speaker systms on the same rack

sharing sources. One amp for efficient speakers and one for less effecient.

"System 1" will be Pioneer SA 8500 driving Altec Santana 2's and EPI 200c's

for use with the turn table. "System 2" will be Pioneer A 70 driving Polk

Monitor 10b's and whatever rotates in that day. I would like them both to

share tuner (TX 7500) , cd , tape and Ipod inputs. I am not trying

to "double " my power , just have flexibility and extra headroom on the

speakers that need it . It would be nice to use the TT with both without a

seperate phono preamp , but that isn't really nessecary.

Thanks for any suggestions, Joe

WEll, on some analog equipment the "tape out" will pass theselected source to another unit. That's how I made recordings from my CD player to a tape deck. I would program the CD player, select it on my Marantz 2270, and, once the levels were set, I turned off the Marantz and went out. When I got back, the tape was done.

...but don't expect the phono amp to work with the power off, though.

I don't think it works on newer equipment that has digital switching.

The downside is that that output doesn't have any volume control. If you expect to feed it to a power amp, it should have level controls, or you better like your music full blast. The "aux" input of an integrated or receiver should do well, though.

Last edited:
You will have to use the tape out of the first unit or the one with the sources if you are having both units capable of running speakers full time. run the tape out to an input on amp 2. If you use the preamp out of the source unit it will not have a feed to its speakers. Both units will have to be on to pass signals to the second unit. Hope this helps.

You will have to use the tape out of the first unit or the one with the sources if you are having both units capable of running speakers full time. run the tape out to an input on amp 2. If you use the preamp out of the source unit it will not have a feed to its speakers. Both units will have to be on to pass signals to the second unit. Hope this helps.

Just what I said except first unit does not have to be on to pass a signal to the second unit unless you want to use the phono position from the 8500.

I see you are using a SA-8500 integrated amplifier (I also own a Pioneer SA-8500) so everything will work using the second unit connected to the first unit (SA-8500) from the "tape out" jacks except the phono output from the 8500 when being turned off.

Thank You

This does work running from tape outs, though I do have to use switches on

the 8500 when it is off to pass signal. All I need now is a larger surge

protector to accomidate it all! I am also looking into a Pure dac and a

ART phono pre in the future upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom