Pre-pro and integrated amp

JoeESP9
Sorry for my terminology. I meant 4 speaker stereo; 2 fronts and two rear; 2 channel.
Anyway, I am even more confused now than when I started. In response to your question regarding whoareu99 diagram: I think he is using the main-in as the surround amplifier? (using the A or B speaker switch on the NAD) the front rear and left are being pre-out to the other amp that drives the front channels via the source control
Am I correct? But would I need a switch to run the fronts thru when only using for stereo music? or a Y connector to the MAIN-IN?

Once again; there are no rear channels for stereo. If you add a pair of rear speakers the left rear plays exactly the same signal as the front left. The same applies to the right channel. Such a setup almost always has a negative effect on the imaging and most especially the soundstage.

Once again; there are no rear channels for stereo. If you add a pair of rear speakers the left rear plays exactly the same signal as the front left. The same applies to the right channel. Such a setup almost always has a negative effect on the imaging and most especially the soundstage.

I'm pretty sure the OP understands that, but wants to have his 2-ch stuff playing through 4 speakers like before, on top of the HT integration.

@Robpar

I think the easiest way to get the "four channel stereo" in addition to the HT integration is to use a line level A/B selector.

Hook the common outputs of the switch to the NAD main in, then connect the switch A inputs to the Pre Out 2 and the B inputs to the Outlaw surround outputs. To play "four channel stereo" select A, for surround playback select B.

I suggest you review my diagram and inputs noted and the back panel of the NAD.

Or, refer to post 15 where the OP explains it.
Thanks whoareu99,
So clarify one item: in your diagram the surround speakers would only work when watching movies but if I wanted to have a 4 speaker stereo setup, would a Y splitter connecting the NAD pre out and the surround output from the processor into the MAIN IN work ? I would not turn the Outlaw processor at all to listen to music. Any issues with is? OR AM I better off with a switch of some kind? (in case somebody turns the processor on while listening to music)
I really appreciate your help
Thanks

Thanks whoareu99,
So clarify one item: in your diagram the surround speakers would only work when watching movies but if I wanted to have a 4 speaker stereo setup, would a Y splitter connecting the NAD pre out and the surround output from the processor into the MAIN IN work ? I would not turn the Outlaw processor at all to listen to music. Any issues with is? OR AM I better off with a switch of some kind? (in case somebody turns the processor on while listening to music)
I really appreciate your help
Thanks
Sorry whoareu99 I did not read your previous answer when I posted. I see you are suggesting a line level A/B switch which I think it's simple enough. Just have to find one that also looks good ; )

You guys had me use both the LFE and High Level inputs (fronts) on my sub so I get the sub in stereo or 5.1 ?

Thank you guys. The input was very helpful
After a few weeks of fiddling with connections and various listening modes, I realized that almost all my music sources are really digital (CD, Computer, Sonos) so ended up connecting everything to the 976 processor and just using the NAD as an amp for the surround channels. I was afraid the 976 preamp would not be as good as the NAD preamp but I can not tell the difference between them, so now I have everything connected via digital outputs from the sources to the 976. I really like how it sounds. The stereo mode is awesome. I still have not solved the turntable issue but I'm not using it that much anyway (I guess I would need a phono preamp with to connect to the 976)
I just hate to see the NAD just sitting there as a dumb amp...
BTW, the 976 seems like a very good piece, especially at the price. I can't think of a pre-pro in that price range ($850). The Emotiva is about the only close in price but I did not like the looks and only had two optical inputs, the 976 has 4.
The only thing I don't like about the 976, is the lack of volume adjustment for each input (cable TV is very low, computer or Sonos is much louder) nothing that adjusting the volume can not solve. It would also be great to rename the inputs but that still would leave the remote control input names remaining unchanged, so the wife would still be confused...
So far I am very happy with the 976 and their technical support (needed some help on input setup to monitor video while listening to music)

The Emotiva is about the only close in price but I did not like the looks and only had two optical inputs, the 976 has 4.
Actually, the Emo has one optical, one coaxial (better), one USB (best) while the Outlaw has two optical and two coaxial.

Back
Top Bottom