Preamp / Amp decision for RS-1a's

-reverb-

Buying, selling... mainly buying
Subscriber
Hi Folks,

I will soon be in possession of a pair of beautiful RS1a's. I realize they deserve better amplification than I am going to be able to provide right now, but until I acquire higher quality gear, here is what I have to work with.

I have 2 choices on the pre. Either a Dynaco PAS-3X or a Yamaha C-85. I am leaning towards the C-85 but the more I think about it, the more I am thinking how nice tubes would be in the pre stage. I really do like the C-85's adjustable loudness control though. Tough call here.

For amplification, I don't have a lot of options.

On the bass towers, I plan to use my Yamaha MX-1000. Not sure what the nominal impedance of the bass towers are but the Yamaha is 260 watts @ 8ohm, 295 @ 6ohm & 330 @ 4ohm. I think that should be sufficient, right?

For the mids/highs, I was thinking of using my Dynaco MK II Monoblocks. They are a solid 50 watts / channel of tube sweetness. Should make the EMIMs / EMITs dance. Have no idea what the nominal impedance of these towers are either, but I have 8 and 16 ohm taps on the Monoblocks.

Would this configuration provide a pretty balanced system or is that a huge imbalance between the bass and high towers? I have always been under the impression that the high end takes much less amplification than the power-hungry low end.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks slimpikkins. I was a bit concerned in that the manual states 75 watts minimum for the mid/high cabinets. Still on the lookout for some better amplification but hopefully I can enjoy these with what I have until then.

Those Dynaco Mono Blocks are really nice. There was a pair for sale near me and I wish I bought them.
if you find you need more watts I often recommend the ARC D-115 for Infinity mid and high range (even full range). It is an all tube stereo amp using 8 6550's for output (100 watts rms). They are by no means cheap but I don't know where you could get that kind of tube watts for less money. They are getting on in years so many will have issues and buying tubes for it can set you back. I had mine rebuilt by Wayne (RIP) from In House Services years ago and is like new.

I tried Dynaco MKIIIs on my mids. I wouldn't suggest using those IIs. Used VTL Deluxe 300s on the mids afterwards. I would recommend those if you want to run a tube amp. Presently using a Threshold S/300. I'll keep that unless I can find a S/500. It's been awhile since I tried my "experiment" with the Dynacos. Underpowered to say the least. They were fully rebuilt and sounded awesome with other speakers. Just not the Infinities.

what is your budget for a new unit? that will help decide whether it's power or pre amp that you go with.

The nominal impedance for both the bass and mid/high towers is 6 ohms. Your MX1000 will be more than sufficient for the bass units. If it was me, I’d try the monoblock II amps for a while and see how it sounded. How big of a room do you have? If you don’t need 100db+ peaks, you’ll probably be fine.

Also as a new RS1 owner, you might enjoy the thread “My Excellent RS1 Adventure” in this forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom