Preamp for my MC30 pair, a Sensi needed.

Do you think the tubes included with the ones I am getting will be fine ? What do you think of it at first glance, and in the description, electrically?

I live in the Atlanta suburbs and my office is pretty close to the Audio Exchange location. I have used them multiple times for service on McIntosh and Dynaco gear, plus some speaker refoaming and also bought my McIntosh MX-117 there. I have been very satisfied with my experiences. Haven't had anything shipped so can't speak to that from personal experience but I would expect a quality packing job as well.

Hope everything arrives safely, and enjoy the new amps :music:

Oh, and I'd probably hook that existing PAS up and take my time preamp shopping. Plus, by using the same preamp you'll be better able to compare the new Mc Amps to that ST-70.

I never ran a test record with the 14s but I'd be surprised if they were flat to 60 Hz. A few others have reported similar experiences with the M14 here on AK. I once read Altec created the LF-1 and LF-2 to compliment the 14, 15, 17, 18. I sure wouldn't mind finding an LF-1 or LF-2 to use with the Model 14.

attachment.php
Easier to find a pair of MI-350s in a barn . . .

The problem with older tube pre-amps is they are noisy, especially in the phono section. But that said if you now how to set the gain of your amps you can usually do a pretty good work around. To keep things from getting to dark and heavy and for added flexibility I would probably choose a C-30 or C-33/34.

Issue is, of course all of these are kinda expensive, so it's not like I can really have like 5 or 6 to rotate in and out my system. So I wanna try and get the right one right on the first shot..... so, so many decisions.

MC30's should be here Thurs when I get my six day off weekend... woohoo !!

Please help me to understand, 1st off I am going to just test it with my pas. But someone mentioned if I go the vintage MC20 route as compared to a newer modern amp it (the vintage stuff) will be slower as the modern amps will be faster. I am trying to wrap my head around this idea, anyone have any insights on this to help me along?

Unfortunately I live in Wyoming and can't really borrow a modern preamp to tryout and return to my audio geek friend, unless I want to try it out in their jacked up 4X4 Dodge Duramax or what ever engine Mopar puts in them dodges these days...

Last edited:
The C20 is a fine preamplifier but its volume control is complex and prone to mistracking, ie: L & R channels becoming out of balance depending on position of the control. Otherwise, my advice is to take this "faster" stuff with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Issue is, of course all of these are kinda expensive, so it's not like I can really have like 5 or 6 to rotate in and out my system. So I wanna try and get the right one right on the first shot..... so, so many decisions.

And sonically subjective too !!

They showed up today, just got home from work, quickly shipped and well packaged too. Now to start my new journey.

This is the first time I have ever seen any McIntosh gear, let alone about to hear it. So a pretty exciting Thursday Night for me.

P1010004.JPG

Just a quick update, I have been truly enjoying this new babies.
Even with the ol' Pas. I love my ST-70, I dearly do, but no question that I am more endured with these. Plug and play, so I am super happy with that.

Cranked the gain wide open on both and worked down from there to my sweet spot.

I am narrowing down between 2 preamps.....

Stay tuned.

Well, I have a preamp on the way.... I cannot wait until it arrives and I can here it with the 30's my TT and speakers.

I took into account financial considerations, condition and a lot of research where I could find it. I could have went many ways with all the info and tips on every type of preamp.

I will receive it get it hooked up and put it under white sheets for the great unveiling, when everything is just right.

Thanks to everyone for the input, It's kinda like the Bachelor One final rose to give away to the winner. So about a week I suspect, and it will be here.

Back
Top Bottom