1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

preamp phase invert switch

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by edwin, Mar 18, 2017.

1. edwin

edwin Active Member

My cx-800 has a phase invert switch. Question, do i also interchange the left and right cable in one speaker like what is specified in my present C-85 preamp? Thank you

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

No. The switch inverts the polarity of both channels.

It doesn't provide the same function as using one normal and one inverted output on the C-85.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Jazz Nut

It swaps/inverts both + and - on both channels. There was little attention paid to absolute phase in studios as long as they were good left to right, they didn't worry about their gear inverting
    the phase within the gain stages. In a system that has proper phase, a drum kick should push the woofer toward the listener first, on a system that is out of phase, it pulls it back on that first kick. Your mind can't tell you what is wrong with the sound, but the timing seems off and impact of dynamics is lost. If you find a recording that sounds out of sorts, a simple flick of the phase switch may bring the music back into focus for you. Think of phase shifts similar to a camera lens that is out of focus.

4. edwin

edwin Active Member

Thank you for the replies.