Preamps for less than $250?

gentlejax

I am seriously considering selling my NAD c370 and getting a preamp to run with my B&K St2140. I am currently running the 2140 off the c370 and well the 2140 sounds a lot like the c370 and it should if im using the 370 as a pre.

I have a budeget of about $250. I was considering using a B&K but I do see a lot of them that dont work now due to age. I had a ref 50 but it was way more than I needed for stereo sound.

I was also looking at parasounds because they were when new a little more than similar preamps like adcoms.

I am open to just about any brand that sounds good

Become a subscriber and hit barter town. There are often great preamps for sale there in your price range. Indeed there is a really great one listed right now.

I have both the C70 and the Acurus R11.They are kind of different animals. The Acurus is more basic in terms of function, sort of a purist pre. The Yamaha has more functionality but thus more to go wrong. I would go with the Acurus. Its got better parts and better manufacturing and also sounds better to my ears. The Acurus also has a long line of mods that are proven that can elevate it to a whole new level. You can probably also sell it more easily if you upgrade down the road. My C70 has taken more maintenance time, had issues with solder joints and doesnt sound as good as a basic pre. It does have lots of functions, like eq, that the Acurus does not. However, the Acurus will probably run you $300-400 on Ebay as lots of people are looking for them. Not sure elsewhere. I have been looking at moving both of mine to get a new Parasound P5 or something from McIntosh so I have been watching how they sell. FWIW, just another opinion.

If you look around, you can find some decent used preamps for under $200. I've seen Rotel, NAD, Parasound, Adcom, and Yamahas in that price range. Also early surround sound processors can be found for well under $200 and some of those are decent 2-channel preamps. Processors which originally sold at $600, $700, and up.

The NAD 1020, It even has both MM Phono and MC Cartridge Phono switch, with cartridge loading! I used my with Denon 103R and it is wonderful... It's sitting on a shelf now, but could be available... (It also happens to be the mate for the NAD 2140...)

well because I have a B&K ST2140 already I won a B&K Ref 20 for $100 shipped. didnt figure it could be too bad at that price. I knew what they were new and I like my 2140 amp.

Under $250 on the bay and based on Marantz 7 with an Alps pot.

s-l1600.jpg

Guess it depends on the complexity you need and if you actually need any gain.

Pass B1 I think can be built for less, if you are into building and a minimalist pre (actually buffer stage).

Please do not use a reference to a Marantz 7c and that piece of junk in the same sentence, DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ!!!!

I like my Carver C-1 and I see those in the price range but not many out there.
There are varying opinions on it but I really hear so much music compared to what I paid.
Very solid and quiet pre with nice inputs and phono stage.

I have noticed the C-1 has gone up in value so thats also a positive.

Got the NAD for my son and it really gets the job done for the price.

Last edited:
If you like the B&K sound take a look at the Pro10-MC. Great match for your ST-2140. And yes, any equipment of that age will need a little refreshing. It's normal.

Back
Top Bottom