Preamps For MC7200

Jere Tomko

Getting a MC7200 soon and had to buy a Rotel RC1090 preamp to get it. Was going to flip the Rotel and use the pre from my MAC4100 but guess I will have to listen to both and decide. Will be looking for a preamp and was thinking a C37 or a MX130(Price is right) until I can afford a tube preamp. Ultimately a C2300 would be great but was wondering what other brands of preamps with a phono stage and basic remote(volume) compare and / or are better then the C2300. Looking at around $4,000 for used. I am using Monitor Audio PL100's with a Jolida 100a CD, Denon 3 head tape deck and Thorens TD165.

For that kind of money, it's really hard to ignore the C100 / C200. We don't see many C37 owners here, but the C35 is held in high regard when properly restored.

For that kind of money, it's really hard to ignore the C100 / C200. We don't see many C37 owners here, but the C35 is held in high regard when properly restored.
C100 C200 good choice but should of mentioned I am hoping to have a tube preamp ultimately. How are Cary, Conrad Johnson or other tube preamps? Or just go for C2300?

C100 C200 good choice but should of mentioned I am hoping to have a tube preamp ultimately. How are Cary, Conrad Johnson or other tube preamps? Or just go for C2300?

I really hope to go McIntosh tube preamp someday(such as a C2300 or C2500)...but been hearing nothing but great things about the C100

4-2-7 has first hand experience with the C2300 - he would be an excellent addition to the thread. I've not heard anything but praise of the C2300 personally but my tube days are for the most part in my past.

I
I run a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 integrated as a pre amp. If you have 4K to spend and consider getting a new Lyngdorf TDAI-2175. You also get Room Perfect room correction of a Mcintosh MEN 220, a feature called ICC that restores clipped sources, and an electronic crossover to mate with some subwoofers later when you wish to hear the whole audible spectrum . You can then drive the subs or PL100s with the MC7200 or TDAI2175s. Internal amp.

I am not a tube guy but hear many reviews extoll lyngdorf for tube sound. I drive MC1000s amps with my lyngdorf and have driven MC2500s. You get majo rversatslity, HT feed throughs, a powerful DAC and room correction digital signal processing, HDMI, analog and USB handling.

But i have nothing bad to say sbout McIntosh preamps. i have a C39 that works supreme. But if you want to hear detail in the music it is decades behind the lyngdorf in SNR or dynamics. Will it touch a C1000T. I doubt but will leave anything else under 10k in dirt.

Last edited:
Anyone compare C100 / C
4-2-7 has first hand experience with the C2300 - he would be an excellent addition to the thread. I've not heard anything but praise of the C2300 personally but my tube days are for the most part in my past.
So what made you not want tubes? Am I lusting after something I do not want?

I've owned dozens and dozens of tube units over the years - preamps, tuners, amplifiers, etc. My very first system (1989) was an MX110 and MC240 if you can believe that. In my 20s, the allure of constantly fiddling with the gear was great. Tube equipment requires maintenance, some of it constant. Neither of my tube checkers is reliable at present and I've repaired my main one a few times over the years.

I still do have an MC225, but it doesn't get used much. I also still have a huge stash of vintage tubes. Nothing at all wrong with tube gear - maybe I'll revisit after I'm retired. For now, my solid state setup exceeds all my expectations.

I

I run a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 as a pre amp. If you have 4K to spend and want new get a TDAI2175. You also get Room Perfect room coreection of a Mcintossh MEN 220 and an electronic crossover to mate with some subwoofers later when you wish to hear the whole audible spectrum. You can then drive the subs or PL100s with the MC7200 or TDAI2175. Internsl amp.

I am not a tube guy but hear many reviews extoll lyngdorf for tube sound. I drive MC1000s with my lyngdorf and have driven MC2500s. You ge tversatslity, HT feed throughs, sad powerful DAC and soom correction single processing.

But i have nothing bad to ssy sbout McIntosh preamps. i have a C39 that works supreme. But if you want to hear detail in the music. it is decades behind the lyngdorf. Will it touch a C1000T. I doubt but will leave snything under 10k in dirt.
I think you have a piont with detail in music. So I need to broaden my search

Good points on C100 / C200. So should I use the Rotel RC1090 preamp till I save for the ultimate McIntosh preamp? Or flip the Rotel and use a MX130 while saving?

I've owned both the C2300 and the C100. Both are top notch. I gave the edge to the C2300 for features (such as variable cart loading) and looks, and gave the edge to the C100 for sound quality, but it was really close. I've never had any problems with newer tube gear. I've only replaced tubes for "fun" (tube rolling) rather than "necessity".

When I was looking for a replacement for my C29 as I had known Frank Gow for many years. I gave him a call and ask his recommendation. he and I talked for a while and I said I thought I might like a C-40 to which he said their were much better sounding units. This was in 08 and 09. But when I said it wouldn't fit, he said why? When I explained my equipment cabinet would only allow the older 16" units and I wanted to match my MR80, 2505, MPI-4 etc, he said I wouldn't believe it but that the C-37 was the best 16" Mac ever built . It sounded great, was dependable, had fantastic signal to noise, and very low distortion.

I chose the C-34 as it was the same size as my 29, had graphic tone controls, a record selector a listen switch and processor loops. I recently returned it to Audio classics for a minor repair and the unit was returned with a performance check sheet. With less than .005 % distortion from 20 to 20,000, 100 db signal to noise for high level and 89 db signal to noise for phono using the new phono standard of 5 mv versus the old standard of 10 mv, meaning close to 95 db for the old method. So how much better can a C-37 be? Will it surely wipe a C-39 specs?

I don't know, but I will say I was a little disappointed in the phono section of the C-34 vs my C-29; but, I added a MP100 and all my phono issues have disappeared. The specs may not read as well as a C-34 But a MP 100 brings back the sound of the C-29 with even better clarity. The next question is do I want an XX2 Dynavector or not? The only thing I wish the MP 100 had some of the flexibility the new tube phono pre-amp has. 25 hz high pass filter for instance for when you are playing warped records or ones made from less than perfect vinyl would be a nice addition. Its no fun hearing woofers hitting a grill or a coil former bottoming out. Why waste all that power and potentially damage your speakers?

Nice to hear about the C37. Audio Classics sees 3 a year. Started looking at Rogue, ARC etc. Giving me a head ache simpler to stick with McIntosh. Started seeing C50 hitting the used market. C100 / C200 are priced right too. So now its C37, C100 / C200 or C50. Then read something about input impedance, 20K ohm unbalanced 40K ohm balanced for MC7200, so are all McIntosh Preamps acceptable? Is it better to connect pre to amp balanced or unbalanced? Will newer preamps be any better than C37?

Will newer preamps be any better than C37?

What to you is better?

A restored C35 was stunningly "better" than a unrestored C30 until the C30 got restored. A local did a A B comparison of one of my restored C33s and declared it "better" than his MX110.

I have a partially restored C37 here at home, Is it 1/3 as good as the C35 I use at the shop?

You are going to have to listen to some restored units yourself or buy units ten, not 25+ years old.

What to you would make one unit better than another?

What to you is better?

A restored C35 was stunningly "better" than a unrestored C30 until the C30 got restored. A local did a A B comparison of one of my restored C33s and declared it "better" than his MX110.

I have a partially restored C37 here at home, Is it 1/3 as good as the C35 I use at the shop?

You are going to have to listen to some restored units yourself or buy units ten, not 25+ years old.

What to you would make one unit better than another?
Better hard to describe. So what do you do for restoration. Asked McIntosh Tech about MC7200 needing to go in because of its age and said wait another 20 years so I assumed the same for the preamp.

Well, let's try this then.

For example, back in the day, many considered a bigger, wider soundstage, with more inner detail to be a better stereo sound. However others still felt a tight image restricted between the speakers, not mono, but trending that way sounded better.

I had to recognize both camps and help them both to achieve their goals.

More or less bass, treble, midrange, is often considered to be "better".

Have you done a upgrade in the past that really set it self apart?

When we did A/B comparisons the bigger, beyond the wall to wall soundstage became very apparent. There was more detail to the inner soundstage but because it was more spread out might not have initially sounded as "loud".

It is my wild eyed guess that the input cap replacement with Nichicon Muse Bipolar caps is the biggest contributor to this what most considered to be a upgrade.

When I get the chance to finish up the C37 or maybe the next MAC4300 upgrade will provide a chance for further study.

All the SS pre-amps will work and modern tube pre-amps with SS buffered out puts will work, Early pre-amps from the C-22 on back may have issues as they were designed to drive loads 150,000 ohms and higher according to the manuals. What that means is the preamp can't provide the current necessary and the lower impedance might cause some response and distortion issues. A 7200 has a sensitivity switch that allows either 2.5 volt or .7 volt to reach 200 watt output. The old tube units can drive the the .7 volt I would think but with a 10 db increase in noise from the pre-amp.

Not a problem with speakers with less than 88 db efficiency, but used with horn loaded speakers could become quite an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom