Precision Fidelity preamps

silvernutsaq

Visiting Martian
I have recently acquired a C8 model and it`s a hybrid-cascode design. I hooked it up to a B&K st-140 and it sounded great at mid-high volume, but at a lower setting, there was a subtle difference in signal output between channels. Also, there is a faint hum when no source is present, so I`m thinking a re-cap may be in order. Has anyone here owned this unit and would it be a good match for a set of tube monoblocks?

Also, I`m wondering how much better the C7 and C9 models were in comparison. Should I look for one of those instead? One thing that`s missing is a headphone jack, but I suppose I could add an external one later if necessary. What other mods/updates could be added? Thanks in advance.

I have recently acquired a C8 model and it`s a hybrid-cascode design. I hooked it up to a B&K st-140 and it sounded great at mid-high volume, but at a lower setting, there was a subtle difference in signal output between channels. Also, there is a faint hum when no source is present, so I`m thinking a re-cap may be in order. Has anyone here owned this unit and would it be a good match for a set of tube monoblocks?

Also, I`m wondering how much better the C7 and C9 models were in comparison. Should I look for one of those instead? One thing that`s missing is a headphone jack, but I suppose I could add an external one later if necessary. What other mods/updates could be added? Thanks in advance.

It is totally worth it. The C-8 has one of the best phono stages I have heard. The C-4 is the one to REALLY get as well as the C-7. Wonderful pieces of gear. Congrats on the find!

The C-7A Revised is considered the true gem of the line. Rare as a hen's tooth, but competitive with anything up to around $2-3K today. Like all Precision Fidelity pre-amps, it too has a killer phono stage.

Hi. I've had this C7 for 6 years now and it is doing great service in front of my Celestion 66 studio monitors, Nakamichi PA7 SS amp, Adcom 700 CDP. A friend let me try his C8 bout 3 years ago so I can give U my opinion. In most ways they sound similar: smooth, responsive, detailed. Where I thought the way the C7 excelled and by not much was in the wider deeper soundstage. The C8 amazingly had slightly better imaging and was just a bit slower in the lower octaves where as the C7 had a bit cleaner tighter bass. Both phonos I believe were excellent. Both units were stock-no mods with factory caps, resistors, generic tubes, mine are Japanese. Hope I get to try his newly acquired C7A soon as he gets it repaired. Good Luck.

Thanks for the responses everyone and I`m especially stoked to hear the great reports on the PF`s phono section. I only did a quick test on mine to verify it was actually working per return policy where I got it. It sounded wonderful playing a CD and FM tuner through it. It topped the Soundcraftsmen CX4000 in a short comparison and I`ll do a proper shootout with a turntable and a couple other preamps I have. In looking down the road in regards to having this unit possibly recapped, I`d like to hear thoughts on whether it should be done by a local tech or sent out (to PF?) to have mods/upgrades performed.

I used to own a C-4. It had a pretty face plate. The chassis was cheap and I hated the circuit board. The phono section was good, but needed refinement (as did the power supply). The line stage was not very good as it used basically the same topology (minus the RIAA equalization) as the phono stage. As pretty as the face plate was, I eventually sold it to a fellow in South Korea because the money it would receive far outweighed it's musical virtues.

By the way, Bruce Moore used almost the same phono section in different company's product, and in my opinion, to better effect. This product used simplified (better sounding) the line stage and provided a better power supply to make an overall better preamp - though the face plate isn't as pretty and the chassis is still ho-hum. Anyone want to venture to guess the name of this preamp? It flies under the radar. No, it isn't the Paragon 12/12a (which is a very unique and different beast and one that I much prefer sonically to the Precision Fidelity stuff).

I used to own a C-4. It had a pretty face plate. The chassis was cheap and I hated the circuit board. The phono section was good, but needed refinement (as did the power supply). The line stage was not very good as it used basically the same topology (minus the RIAA equalization) as the phono stage. As pretty as the face plate was, I eventually sold it to a fellow in South Korea because the money it would receive far outweighed it's musical virtues.

By the way, Bruce Moore used almost the same phono section in different company's product, and in my opinion, to better effect. This product used simplified (better sounding) the line stage and provided a better power supply to make an overall better preamp - though the face plate isn't as pretty and the chassis is still ho-hum. Anyone want to venture to guess the name of this preamp? It flies under the radar. No, it isn't the Paragon 12/12a (which is a very unique and different beast and one that I much prefer sonically to the Precision Fidelity stuff).
The Audible Illusions preamps I assume is to what you're referring? Funny enough, I have a chance to get a PF C8 or AI Modulus 2 from the same person

The Audible Illusions preamps I assume is to what you're referring? Funny enough, I have a chance to get a PF C8 or AI Modulus 2 from the same person
... and the answer is... The original Audible Illusions Dual Mono Preamp - predecessor to the Uranus model. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Back
Top Bottom