Preferred Tuner to pair with Sherwood S-1000...

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by silversport, Aug 25, 2017.

1. silversport

silversport Super Member

both refurb'd by Craig at NOSValves...

I don't see me listening to AM just FM with this on a Sherwood Monaural amplifier; the S-1000 also freshened by NOSValves...

Thoughts and comments???...

Bill

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. silversport

silversport Super Member

thanks...

Bill

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. silversport

silversport Super Member

I did check the owner's manual online but there are so many differing versions with differences within those versions...

Bill

4. amptramp

amptramp Active Member

The whole idea of component stereo is that as someone comes out with an advanced tuner, amplifier, turntable etc. you can update the improved item without having to wait for someone to come out with a receiver that had everything they wanted. Most components will work with most others.

5. silversport

silversport Super Member

thanks...

Bill

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. silversport

silversport Super Member

for anyone who may look at getting a lesser priced Tube Tuner...between these two, my Sherwood sounds a bit better and seems to capture stations a touch better...I don't think you would be poorly served by either of them in the end.

Bill

7. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The Sherwood S3000 would be the obvious choice. Earlier ones were mono only. I don't think they went stereo until you got to the -III or -IV.

You can run any tuner you like of course, the Sherwood one would be a visual match though. They also happen to have made a good FM set. Fisher FM tuners are excellent as well.

silversport likes this.
  8. silversport

silversport Super Member

mine is a III...I had thought it was Stereo since it has Stereo written on it but I have come to learn it is only Stereo when the Multiplexer is connected...no worries as it is coupled with a monaural amplifier and sounds just fine...I appreciate your response gadget73

Bill

9. 39cross

39cross AK Subscriber Subscriber

The S-3000, S-3000 II and III would be perfect as all three verisons are mono.
    There is an S-2000 series as well, these are AM/FM.
    The S-3000 III has some real estate devoted to plopping in an MPX adapter. If the original owner bought one, it should be more or less obvious. There is a sort of plug that is connects to. Because of this, I don't believe it has the conventional MPX RCA plug.
    I have an S-3000 II and it does have the MPX out. It is a fine tuner, as are all the Sherwoods.

silversport likes this.