Pretty excited. Altec in homemade cabnet.

Between that and the tube amp you will have a killer mono system. Any chance there is another of each?

BillWojo

You must have been very nice to the audio gods, for they have smiled upon you. ;)

Can't believe you didn't use the emoticon :banana::banana::banana::banana:

And, yes, we MUST hear the whole story!

GeeDeeEmm

Well... I'm here in Oregon and I work in pest control. So I'm out on a bid in the middle of the countryside in this old farmhouse. And I'm talking to the people and I'm noticing all these cabnets around and after we're done I ask if I can look at them. Turns out that their uncle had passed and he was the one that built all of these back in the 30s or 40s. He was 90+.
IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2252.JPG
So they asked if I was interested. And I said yeah. Turns out the estate belongs to his daughter who's in Kentucky and they took my number.
Few days later she called and said she was coming to town for the eclipse and asked me to come over and take a look. So today I went over and we talked about her dad and his love for hi-fi and music. Got pretty emotional. Then she said to just take it. I said this stuff could be worth a lot. She said she's just glad that it is going to someone who appreciates it. We took some pictures together and loaded it into the box van and brought it home the separate amp is from a console they wanted to keep and repurpose. They will give the preamp and tuner when they remove it. Or the whole cab if she decides not to ship it. Great people. Got home and couldn't wait to open that speaker. I thought maybe a university or an altec but did not expect this. Looks brand new. Super stoked. Rest In Peace old timer. Must have been a pretty cool dude.

I have a young friend who owns a large lawn mowing/husband-for-hire business, so he sees dozens of people and their property every day. He has come home with everything from silver coins to antiques and cars and tools - about everything you can imagine.

And that's the people who mostly stumble on these kind of finds - folks who are daily exposed to many people in various socio-economic conditions and diverse areas. Just that fact alone would make the job exciting for me.

Now, the real search begins - finding a twin for the one you have to make a stereo pair!

GeeDeeEmm

I've been thinking about getting into "Pest Control". The op has just verified that it's a worthy profession! of course my version of getting into pest control has to do with getting rid of those dang moles that make my lawn mowing experience a very bumpy ride!

Hey gdmoore28 I see you're a fellow Arkansan look at my signature, am I not right?

You are right regarding best opportunities come from those in professions that interact with folks within their homes or at their properties. Many years ago I sold Life and Medical insurance and had to meet with the folks in their homes. I was young and needed food on the table, so much of my haul was in the form of farm fresh veggies and meat.

SUPER Score!

Really nice. Please post even more pics when you can. This looks like one of our very early audiophile pioneers, before the term was probably coined. Some of my best memories are picking up the gear that was from an early audiophile. I have sent pictures back to the widow/family after restore and received back very positive responses. Well done, it is a bit of a cherry on top.

Hey gdmoore28 I see you're a fellow Arkansan look at my signature, am I not right?

You are right regarding best opportunities come from those in professions that interact with folks within their homes or at their properties. Many years ago I sold Life and Medical insurance and had to meet with the folks in their homes. I was young and needed food on the table, so much of my haul was in the form of farm fresh veggies and meat.

Of course, being from Arkansas, you are exactly right, sir!

And for those not in the know, GBroot lives in the part of our state that most accurately resembles Eden. (Except for moles!) It's the home of WalMart and a number of other industries, it's peaceful, scenic, quiet, welcoming and friendly. It's as close as you can come on earth to living in Mayberry.

I talked to a gentleman a couple of years ago who is an exec with WalMart. He said when execs from northern states are transferred to NW Arkansas (mostly to service WM accounts), they feel that they and their families have been sentenced to hell. Once they've been in the area for a few months, however, the companies cannot get them to leave! He referred to several execs whose company wanted to transfer them back out of the area, but they retired instead so they could stay in NW Arkansas. I love it in that area of the state.

GeeDeeEmm

Hey gdmoore28 thanks for the cudos for the NWA area. Been hear 3 years and thoroughly enjoying it.

Back to the op and this wonderful piece of history. I couldn't quite make out in his story of the find if there were other pieces still in the collection that they had decided to keep or what the whole story was. Is there more that you're going back for?

Hey gdmoore28 thanks for the cudos for the NWA area. Been hear 3 years and thoroughly enjoying it.

Back to the op and this wonderful piece of history. I couldn't quite make out in his story of the find if there were other pieces still in the collection that they had decided to keep or what the whole story was. Is there more that you're going back for?

Yes there is one radio cabnet left. They want to turn it into a mini bar ( which it would be great for). This amp is out of it
image.jpg
But it still has speakers tuner preamp etc. inside. She might pull those for me or if she doesn't decide to take the whole thing back east with her. I also have a lot of literature and schematics parts and receipts.

Back
Top Bottom