Pretty nice finds. Deck, test record, some LP's, and learning things.

MetalFisher

Semi-Vintage fan
The other day I was asking about skips vanishing with tracking force increase...
Someone responded about seeking a better turntable. It was exactly the answer i wasn't really seeking, but as luck would have it -
I was at goodwill and found a Marantz TT-170. Everything was in good shape except it is missing the dust cover completely. The stylus is an Audio-Technica T4p, this unit has an adjustable counter-weight as well as an anti-skate adjustment. I did have to clean the dust off everything, it wasn't nasty, just dusty. Adjust the counter-weight and anti-skate and everything good. It sounds good also.
All this for only $10.
So after experiencing the TT-170, I now know exactly WHY my Teac P-988 is basically a POS. On that one, the tone arm rest is so close to the LP that on non-perfect records, it actually scrapes the side of the vinyl.
So, though it is "okay", it is still an upgrade with the TT-170

Another thing I found was that old Realistic Test Record. While it was going through various tones, I hooked up a meter capable of measuring frequency, and things measured very close. This album though, it is pretty heavy compared to the rest of my vinyl. It is in good shape but does have some pops, I am assuming it probably IS really old.

Finally, even though GOOD albums are needles in a haystack at thrift, I actually managed to find a few that I would enjoy and they range from "acceptable" to "like new" shape. I guess that is ONE benefit of liking some of the "crappy" top 40 music from the early 80's. But not just that...

A couple albums i found for ONE dollar at thrift - AC/DC "highway to hell, Jethro Tull "living in the past", complete with both albums and the booklet with photos of the band (though the vinyl sound quality leaves something to be desired), Kim Carnes "Romance dance" and THIS album sounds perfect. Aside a couple rough spots on entry (before the music) the sound quality made me wonder, "Just HOW could an LP sound this crisp, this clean?" "More love, and more joy than age or time could ever destroy..." There were a few others but I am embarrassed to admit I own them. yes it is worse than Kim Carnes...
So yeah, even at thrift, there ARE treasures in the LP section if one is patient.

So what am I learning here?
First, I have en entry level understanding of turntables. As I am new to the hobby, it should be an exciting journey.
I also know now just WHY people claim vinyl sounds better than MP3. I have compared some MP3's to the vinyl counterparts and even with LP's NOT in the best shape, the sound is just better somehow. Even if one could not HEAR the dynamic range, they could look at things like an audio power meter, spectrum analyzer on an EQ (Mine is the Realistic 31-2020) and see the lights bouncing all over the place, unlike with other mediums such as MP3, tape, radio, CD...

Only problem I ran into - Every since spinning vinyl, for some odd reason, my cassettes don't sound as good as I remember, when I even bother.

Not trying to make dumb threads here, just excited about this new-found hobby.
Here is that realistic test record...qwa.jpg

Great, glad to hear you're getting more and more enjoyment out of spinning records. There will always be an upgrade path, but there's no hurry (or even need) as long as you're really enjoying what you have.

Metal are you using a cleaning regiment for these thrift store finds (i.e. SpinClean, Record Doctor, scrub pads/sink)?

Keep going, as far as you wish and can afford. There are some guys with a VPI Prime and a Koetsu who started this way. They started, continued on, and discovered they couldn't stop.

I also know now just WHY people claim vinyl sounds better than MP3. I have compared some MP3's to the vinyl counterparts and even with LP's NOT in the best shape, the sound is just better somehow.

MP3 is a compressed (ie: low resolution) file, so even CDs sound better.

Welcome the hobby. May you have many hours of total enjoyment, very little frustration and a great learning curve.

So what am I learning here?
First, I have en entry level understanding of turntables. As I am new to the hobby, it should be an exciting journey.
And as you grow into this you'll learn not all records are the same or even the same title will have the same mastering. This is also all independent of the condition that I say this.

I also know now just WHY people claim vinyl sounds better than MP3.

Only problem I ran into - Every since spinning vinyl, for some odd reason, my cassettes don't sound as good as I remember, when I even bother.

Not trying to make dumb threads here, just excited about this new-found hobby.

It only gets better and your thread is not dumb as it shows growth and education.

Metal are you using a cleaning regiment for these thrift store finds (i.e. SpinClean, Record Doctor, scrub pads/sink)?

Some of them do look pretty dingy (not scratched to hell, just dirty) So a bit of dish soap and a microfiber towel, carefully wipe in a circular pattern, rinse, pat dry with a soft towel (one under the LP and one over) Finally, blow dry using NO heat. .
If you are asking for "advice" about cleaning records, I cannot call what I do "advice" since I am sure there may be better methods. I haven't had any problems yet and in a couple cases it eliminated a couple skips.

The only thing I WOULD advise though is use a circular pattern (as to not run across grooves) and during the drying process, lay down a soft towel, then the LP, then PAT it dry. Do not rub it dry, once again as to not scrape across grooves. Avoid harsh chemicals, especially acetone, which eats some types of plastics instantly.

Back
Top Bottom