Pretty TX/SA-9100 Combo

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I took the 9100 set out of the Wall-O-Pioneer, and they looked so nice together, I just had to share them with you (in advance of sweetening them). I'm gonna sweeten them up for a potential customer, this weekend.

I did not think I would like this cosmetic style, till I first laid eyes on it in person :thmbsp:. I'm gonna have a real hard time saying good-bye to this set.

Here is a link to some pics (I'm having trouble getting my Elph to focus for close-ups, sorry).

http://usera.imagecave.com/pustelniakr/9100_Set/

They have a couple of marks on the walnut cases, which I'll deal with as best as I can during sweetening (no need for a re-veneer, nothing really even serious, just bugs me not to be perfect :worried: ). No scratches on the faceplates or knobs. All lamps and indicators functional.

The TX-9100 is one of the best tuners Pioneer ever made (5-gang, with super nice selectivity), and this one really shows it. One of the best sounding tunas in my stable. She does have a doggone SSN engraved in the lower left corner of the faceplate (nicely done, but there, none-the-less :( ). I took pictures that made it look as bad as possible. Normally, it does not stand out at all. I have been waiting to find a clean faceplate for her. If I do, her price will go up significantly. This puppy sold for $350, back in 1975.

The SA-9100 has an indicator that most amps don't have, a protection circuit indicator. The only time you should see this one is when you 1st power her up, otherwise, you know you have a problem right away. She has the capability to connect to, and switch between, 3 sets of speakers, and play any 2 pair at a time (8 ohms each, or more, for more than 1 pair). She pushes 60 WPC into 8 ohms, and likely at least 85 WPC into 4 ohms. This one sold for $450 back in 1975.

So, this set sold for $800 in 1975 dollars. I'll leave it to you to calculate what that is in 2005 dollars. :naughty:

The specs for this combo are down-right clean, with nice flat frequency response, across the board. The power output is less than a receiver of the same total price, but you couldn't touch the sound quality specs for anywhere near the price, in a receiver.

How am I gonna say good-bye? :cry:

Rich P

I couldn't say goodbye to a set like that, though I'd be looking for a clean parts tuner to steal the faceplate from...SSN right on the face, what a crime.

A friend in town has a pair like that...just gorgeous pieces. Were I not broke... :(

Todd in Beerbratistan

Just beautiful, really beautiful. I can't imagine that your buyer will have much trouble in making his mind up.

Likewise, I don't think I could part with those, SSN or not.

pustelniakr said:
How am I gonna say good-bye? :cry: Rich P

I wouldn't. :no:

That is the system I use every day, along with a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's and a Thoren 145 TT. My TX & SA-9100 doesn't have a nick or scratch. I love it. :thmbsp:

Terry

What a nice pair. I remember when "what a pair" meant something entirely different.
You should call the SS office and get that guys phone number, call him at the nursing home, and tell him what a dumb ass he was to engrave on the tuner face.....

B3Nut said:
I couldn't say goodbye to a set like that, though I'd be looking for a clean parts tuner to steal the faceplate from...SSN right on the face, what a crime.

A friend in town has a pair like that...just gorgeous pieces. Were I not broke... :(

Todd in Beerbratistan

I have definitely been looking for a clean faceplate, and will continue to do so till she sells. The problem is, that someone put an excellent review on the tuner info site, and the prices went through the roof on this puppy.

I cannot believe the prices lately. A PL-630 TT just sold for $610. Original Pioneer NAB adapters for R2Rs are averaging $180. PL-530s have just jumped from around $50 to near $200. I'm sitting on a gold mine worth of silver, but parts units are now costing what I paid for the sweet items I'm repairing. :(

Rich P

Back
Top Bottom