Price for 1967 SANSUI AU-111

drfous

Original owner is selling and wants a boatload.

Says everything works. I asked about any service that may have been done, but no response at this time.

Any advice on a reasonable price would be appreciated.

Thx

He's now at $1900.

My concern is that I think i need to put some money into it to make it function properly - recap, etc.

Decisions time. Any AK wisdom appreciated.

Thx

Prices on these are ALL over. I'm seeing eBay examples as low as $700, and nice ones up to $2k+. Realistically I don't think $1900 on Craigslist is reasonable, but it's a pretty rare amp. If it were me, and I wanted it, I would either wait a bit to see how much lower the seller will go, or I would just go take a look and bring cash, and make an offer. That one has been up for a month now, so it's entirely possible that you could get it for substantially less. Or you can play the "it's my dream amp and I really want it and it's going to a good home but it's a ticking time bomb and it'll cost me a fortune to have it rebuilt" card and see how that goes.

He's now at $1900.

My concern is that I think i need to put some money into it to make it function properly - recap, etc.

Decisions time. Any AK wisdom appreciated.

Thx

I would not buy one for $1900 if it had not been restored. $1500 is the most I would spend on an unrestored example if it was in mint condition. You are right to think it will need work to work properly. Maybe it has been, any shots of the underside?

Prices on these are ALL over. I'm seeing eBay examples as low as $700, and nice ones up to $2k+. Realistically I don't think $1900 on Craigslist is reasonable, but it's a pretty rare amp. If it were me, and I wanted it, I would either wait a bit to see how much lower the seller will go, or I would just go take a look and bring cash, and make an offer. That one has been up for a month now, so it's entirely possible that you could get it for substantially less. Or you can play the "it's my dream amp and I really want it and it's going to a good home but it's a ticking time bomb and it'll cost me a fortune to have it rebuilt" card and see how that goes.

Thanks for the response. I'd like to have it, but it's not a must have on the list. Makes me think I need to wait a little longer to see what he does. He started over $4k. I'm sure he feels like he's come way down.

And I did tell him the money I'd have to put into it.

I would not buy one for $1900 if it had not been restored. $1500 is the most I would spend on an unrestored example if it was in mint condition. You are right to think it will need work to work properly. Maybe it has been, any shots of the underside?

No shots of the guts. I've told him that it needs a recap, etc. and he's never said that he's done any work. So I assume it's original. I'll definitely get some shots before I settle on a price and make the drive up the hill.

This is my opinion exactly. $1500.00 super nice unrestored and working. Super nice, restored capped etc, $1900.00 or a bit more and I'd be happy.

I think everyone under estimates the real value of it. He should put it on ebay, and if it went for less than 4 grand I would be surprised. If it were not that I have so much stuff already, I would grab it myself.

I think everyone under estimates the real value of it. He should put it on ebay, and if it went for less than 4 grand I would be surprised.

There's 3 on the bay now for less than 4 grand with buy it now or best offers.

It is on eBay. Not hard to find. $3900 or best offer. In one of his ads was a picture of new replacement caps that could be used. I assume this meant that he was considering recapping but never did. It is tempting but think it would need to be refurbished and assume this would be a difficult process.

The $3900 one on eBay is the same one.

He sent me pics of the circuit. To my untrained eye, it looks pretty original.

I talked to the Audio doctor. He did a full restore on one last year. Said the amp circuit is a copy of a McIntosh.

Attachments

• au 111 bottom 010 (003).jpg
    au 111 bottom 010 (003).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 41
  • au 111 bottom 011 (003).jpg
    au 111 bottom 011 (003).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 38
That looks completely untouched to my eyes.

Yes, the circuit is in fact very similar to a McIntosh. They employed a cathode feedback circuit on the output tubes which helps to lower distortion. In the AU-111, this circuit runs through a dedicated winding in the output transformers.

That looks completely untouched to my eyes.

Yes, the circuit is in fact very similar to a McIntosh. They employed a cathode feedback circuit on the output tubes which helps to lower distortion. In the AU-111, this circuit runs through a dedicated winding in the output transformers.

Thanks for all the help!

Though it uses cathode feedback in the output stage the AU-111 circuit should not be confused with the (unity-coupled) Mc Intosh circuit, but is rather comparable to a QUAD II ouput stage. Cathode feedback ouput stages were used by other U.S manufacturers to help reducing distorsion but they aren' t actually a Mc Intosh circuit.
Regarding the AU-111's current market value I think 3 to 4 grand is just crazy and totally overrated : it's admittedly a nice looking classy amp but looking inside I can only see the typical japanese low grade components (Elna and Shizuki oil caps, cheap resistors... which all must be replaced now) and cramped wiring mess, similar to what can be found in other cheap japanese Hi-Fi gear from that era, like National, TRIO, Pioneer,etc... and the 1st stage of the phono preamp section use solid state devices (transistors) which isn't a good point I.M.O.
Surely, once restored it has the potential to sound good but still I don't understand why it should cost 3 to 4 times more than an equivalent U.S made vintage amp which uses higher quality parts,materials and better workmanship. It's even more expensive than a Mac ! I would never pay over 1000$ for a unrestored AU-111 in good cosmetic condition, for 3000$ (or more) the internals must at least looks like THIS (2nd picture):

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/incredible-sansui-au-111-restoration.666729/

Last edited:
I'm thankful this thread is here. A buddy brought his AU-111 over to my house to use my bench for a checkout. His 111 had been in storage for 20 years. So, despite my suggestion to use the Variac, he hooks 'er up and blows something, unplugs it and leaves it sitting for the last 18 months. That's not a problem, I've got room for it, and it's nice to look at. But since I know that he is highly unlikely to ever do anything with it, I've been thinking about making him an offer.

Hmmm....both of these are good posts....

I think everyone under estimates the real value of it. He should put it on ebay, and if it went for less than 4 grand I would be surprised. If it were not that I have so much stuff already, I would grab it myself.

Though it uses cathode feedback in the output stage the AU-111 circuit should not be confused with the (unity-coupled) Mc Intosh circuit, but is rather comparable to a QUAD II ouput stage. Cathode feedback ouput stages were used by other U.S manufacturers to help reducing distorsion but they aren' t actually a Mc Intosh circuit.
Regarding the AU-111's current market value I think 3 to 4 grand is just crazy and totally overrated : it's admittedly a nice looking classy amp but looking inside I can only see the typical japanese low grade components (Elna and Shizuki oil caps, cheap resistors... which all must be replaced now) and cramped wiring mess, similar to what can be found in other cheap japanese Hi-Fi gear from that era, like National, TRIO, Pioneer,etc... and the 1st stage of the phono preamp section use solid state devices (transistors) which isn't a good point I.M.O.
Surely, once restored it has the potential to sound good but still I don't understand why it should cost 3 to 4 times more than an equivalent U.S made vintage amp which uses higher quality parts,materials and better workmanship. It's even more expensive than a Mac ! I would never pay over 1000$ for a unrestored AU-111 in good cosmetic condition, for 3000$ (or more) the internals must at least looks like THIS
(The pic link is in the original post above)

Can't wait to see what the OP decides on.

Back
Top Bottom