Price for First Class Package Service (1 oz.) went up 31%

eizner23

As an eBay seller I use this class of service quite a bit to ship small items. As of this year the rates went up from $2.67 to $3.50 for 1oz package!

According to stamps.com https://www.stamps.com/usps/postage-rate-increase/
most services increased a few cents, but I wonder why such a hefty increase for First class 1oz. packages?
I know the post office is strapped for cash but come'on man 31%.

It seems to be happening all around the world as government owned postal services appoint over paid CEOs who see their customers as bottomless pits of money.

There was an huge public outcry in Australia when this happened.

Yet with the increase they STILL continue to break shit.
Seems the words fragile - glass have no meaning.
Hell, I couldn't get my U.S. Postal Carrier to close the door on my mailbox even AFTER I had a discussion with him asking politely multiple times if he would be certain door was shut before driving away, citing security concerns and damaged parcel due to rain...."oh sure, didn't realise it was a problem but maybe you should have that door looked at it might be bad", he sez. :mad:!

20180102_103932.jpg
20180102_103952.jpg

I'm sure others have experienced far worse damage to there goods but it's about the level of don't give a shit, not my problem, you didn't adequately pack for shipping your claim is denied, toss package at front door from mid-sidewalk bullshit that keeps me from buying things other than local. I'm sure others will claim "I don't seem to have that issue, my carrier is great" and all that....great! I'm happy for you, but I don't get that level of service and it has gotten worse no matter whom I've discussed this matter with and yet they still want more of your money for less than acceptable service.

Where did you get the 31% from? That link says this:

First Class Package Service will see an average rate increase of 3.9% in 2018. Commercial Base (online postage) rates will start at $2.66 (previously $2.61).

$.05 increase on $2.61 is less than 2% increase.

Am I missing something?

John

Commercial rate is $2.66 tho, not $3.50... who is paying retail for postage to ship stuff? So easy to get the better rate... it's automatic for me in PayPal/eBay including use of the multi-order shipping tool which means I can use it for any package, not just something sold in eBay. Stamps.com has those rates too, probably others.

But, I get what you're seeing in that table. They raised the retail rate a ton, only raised the commercial rate by a little bit.

Thanks for clarifying what you were seeing/where.

John

Commercial rate is $2.66 tho, not $3.50... who is paying retail for postage to ship stuff? So easy to get the better rate... it's automatic for me in PayPal/eBay including use of the multi-order shipping tool which means I can use it for any package, not just something sold in eBay. Stamps.com has those rates too, probably others.

But, I get what you're seeing in that table. They raised the retail rate a ton, only raised the commercial rate by a little bit.

Thanks for clarifying what you were seeing/where.

John
Well, somebody has to subsidize Amazon's postage...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... after just using it to return some defective merch myself.

But, the counter argument to that is could be the commercial customers shipping smaller packages that are keeping USPS in business. For sure they aren't getting by on letter delivery.

John

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... after just using it to return some defective merch myself.

But, the counter argument to that is could be the commercial customers shipping smaller packages that are keeping USPS in business. For sure they aren't getting by on letter delivery.

John
I'd gladly pay more to not get 1/4 lb of junk mail every day. I don't even bring it into the house anymore. Goes from the mailbox right into the recycle bin.

Confirming FCM 4oz @ $2.66.

PayPal and Amazon, not at a retail window.

The big increases seem to be in Priority Mail.

I shipped, first class, 2 CDs to my cousin. I sandwiched them between cereal box cardboard, the envelope was a small bubble wrap envelope. Nearly $6.00! I could of driven them to my cousins for $10.00 in gas.

I'd gladly pay more to not get 1/4 lb of junk mail every day. I don't even bring it into the house anymore. Goes from the mailbox right into the recycle bin.

My plan was to keep the recycling bin situated right beneath my mailbox, and cut a big hole in the bottom of the mailbox.
Once every few days maybe I'd sort through the garbage in case there was anything important in there. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom