Prices for used equipment seem high to you?

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
This is sort of a rant. If it's in the wrong place, my bad.

I understand why 100 watts-and-above amps/receivers command high prices. People crave power: it's sexy and it will always sell whether it's a boat, a car, or a 40 year old amplifier. Okay, makes sense. And legends like the Sansui 9090dB, the Kenwood KR-9600, the Pioneer SX-1250---of course prices will keep going up for these icons. They were the flagships in a remarkable time for hi-fi, a time that will never be repeated. Tube gear always fetches a premium because, well, tubes.

But why are sellers charging top dollar for things that are broken, totally abused, or not working at all? What am I missing here? These are not derelict SX-1980s, either--they are obscure, third-tier, or formerly undesirable pieces. Back in the day, if something was broken, missing parts, or smashed up it cost less and you and I could put a little sweat into it and maybe have a decent machine for ourselves without taking out a mortgage. It seems that era is over and I can't help but wonder, who on earth is buying this stuff at these prices? There are not that many good techs left on planet Earth who know how to work on this old gear.

It seems as much wishful thinking to me as demand

It may be. But, if no-one is prepared to pay the wishful thinking prices, then one assumes the item would be re-listed at a more reasonable price.

If people are prepared to pay the wishful thinking prices, then there is clearly demand, or stupidity.

Often "collectors" hoard gear, which makes items more scarce. We see it here, rooms stacked floor to ceiling. So demand goes up, prices do accordingly. There are other factors, like the people that bought them new a long time ago want a part of their youth back. Then there is the "cool factor", having a turntable and stereo in the den as decoration. Whatever it is, it will not last forever.

It seems as much wishful thinking to me as demand for the time being. Chalk it up to all the "There's $$ in Grandpa's Attic" news stories.
I suppose you're right. But who is buying, then fixing all this stuff?
The prices of the TOTL models has gotten so out of control that people are setting their sights lower in the model line-up, so those not-so-desireable mid-range models now have a market, so as demand increases, so does the price.
Aha. I think that's part of the story. Good insight. I'm not really that upset, I guess, just a tad disappointed that the stream of cheap pirate's gold had dried up.

Why do people fret over this. If the price is higher than you are willing to pay, just skip it.
I don't pay the higher prices, but I miss surfing for good, affordable receivers and having a lot of choices under $100. It was fun and didn't cost a lot. Even stuff on CL is expensive now (and CL was always cheaper because it was cash in hand and also the risk of being kidnapped while paying for your item).

Often "collectors" hoard gear, which makes items more scarce. We see it here, rooms stacked floor to ceiling. So demand goes up, prices do accordingly. There are other factors, like the people that bought them new a long time ago want a part of their youth back. Then there is the "cool factor", having a turntable and stereo in the den as decoration. Whatever it is, it will not last forever.
Yes, that all makes sense, especially wanting a part of one's youth back. And I can see millennials wanting to look cool (and hopefully appreciating the superior sound and workmanship).

I think it has been discussed thousands of times about “asking prices” vs what people are actually paying. Case in point - a Marantz 2270 with wood case came up on CL, San Jose for like $800 or something crazy. It sat for a week, he lowered it to $500. A 1152DC was listed for $900 by a known flipper, that’s gonna sit for about two years.

• denoting something of high quality, especially something from the past or characteristic of the best period of a person's work:

Everything old isn't high quality.
Yeah that's exactly what I said amigo. :confused:
A vintage car is a vintage car whether it's a Rolls Royce or a Yugo.

I think it has been discussed thousands of times about “asking prices” vs what people are actually paying. Case in point - a Marantz 2270 with wood case came up on CL, San Jose for like $800 or something crazy. It sat for a week, he lowered it to $500. A 1152DC was listed for $900 by a known flipper, that’s gonna sit for about two years.

$800 for a 2270 with a wood case is fine. I sold mine for $950 on CL. This stuff is still cheap compared to when it was new, if you adjust for inflation.

Back
Top Bottom