Pricing opinions - local vintage items

Well, Hawkeye83 is a potential buyer, so yeah, if I were he I'd be thinkin' buyer prices. If he's offering what he's willing to pay, I don't see why his offer is "theft at gunpoint". Also, the guy is selling locally in Dubuque, Iowa, not to an international ebay market, so only local Dubuque demand is relevant. If he really wants to get top dollar, he's got to go to the trouble of shipping anywhere it might need to go. Ebay prices are irrelevant to local sales.

Actually I believe ebay sales are relevant. That is what you might expect if you go to the work of selling the unit, taking a 15% hit on the final price and doing the boxing and shipping. A lot of work but then the buyer is kinda expecting that the unit will arrive in good shape. With bay sales that is hit and miss. Being able to go look at a unit, see its condition in person, evaluate its performance and keep your money in your pocket all the time and simply make an offer is something that CL allows, the bay doesn't. Being able to grab something in the condition it was sold and hauling it home the moment you drop coin is worth something. I would much rather have a local unit, working, in good shape than the crap shoot of the bay.

If the potential buyer is willing to spend 50 on something worth 300, that is fine well and good but it would be up to the seller if he wanted to accept that at which point he got a hell of a deal and we call that theft at gunpoint and congratulate the buyer and jokingly hate him for it while offering to double his money on the unit.

It is all opinions and we all got em. Party on.

Actually I believe ebay sales are relevant. That is what you might expect if you go to the work of selling the unit, taking a 15% hit on the final price and doing the boxing and shipping. A lot of work but then the buyer is kinda expecting that the unit will arrive in good shape. With bay sales that is hit and miss. Being able to go look at a unit, see its condition in person, evaluate its performance and keep your money in your pocket all the time and simply make an offer is something that CL allows, the bay doesn't. Being able to grab something in the condition it was sold and hauling it home the moment you drop coin is worth something. I would much rather have a local unit, working, in good shape than the crap shoot of the bay.

If the potential buyer is willing to spend 50 on something worth 300, that is fine well and good but it would be up to the seller if he wanted to accept that at which point he got a hell of a deal and we call that theft at gunpoint and congratulate the buyer and jokingly hate him for it while offering to double his money on the unit.

It is all opinions and we all got em. Party on.

I guess I'm just trying to point out what I think is a mistake that people often make. My point is simply this: it's worth what someone will pay him. It's a free market, and the law of supply and demand applies. If he's only selling it in the local Dubuque market, then it's only worth what someone in Dubuque will pay him. If he can get $400+ from someone locally, good for him, but the fact that someone in Boston or San Francisco would be thrilled to pay $400 is completely irrelevant if he's only offering it locally. Ebay prices assume that all potential buyers nationwide, and sometimes internationally, are part of the demand picture, and that's irrelevant when you're only offering something locally. People look at ebay prices, and draw completely unrealistic and inapplicable conclusions from them.

it's always the guys who don't want to "market" it right, find the right site, write it up
and photo it extensively and correctly, then pack it up bulletproof.

then they ask for HIGH ebay sold prices. and they haven't had any maintenance since
leaving the factory.

if you really lust for it, then make him an offer he can't refuse. there are other tricks you can
use.

make sure the bose comes with everything, stands, original shipping boxes, equalizers,
set-up, manuals, etc.

your bid should factor in any recapping/rebuilding by professionals unless you can do it
or you just want to flip most of it so the one unit you really want is free.

lastly look for any bottom dents when he has one in one hand and beer in the other and
one gets dropped to save the beer.

He claims he sold the tuner for $600?! Wow. Either he's trying to justify/prove that he has a gold mine, or someone just paid a lot for a tuner. Maybe it was restored recently...or someone REALLY wanted it to complete their Sansui stack.

He claims he sold the tuner for $600?! Wow. Either he's trying to justify/prove that he has a gold mine, or someone just paid a lot for a tuner. Maybe it was restored recently...or someone REALLY wanted it to complete their Sansui stack.
I'm pretty sure he is a liar. Delusional liars aren't worth the effort. That's your cue to move along, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom