PRIMALUNA PROLOGUE FIVE soon to be in the house

Eminence1963

Bought it off Upscale Audio, smoking deal on a really good amp should be here by Saturday. I will be hooking it up to my Heresy III's Was there a problem with my other Shuguang's that have been in my system in the past 3 years? Nope not a single glitch. I have used them Evey day from the time I get up till the time I go to bed, so there on all day every day. I never got tired of listening to this system. A testament on how good that China built stuff can last, and be just as good as American made stuff. Not opposed to American built stuff either, its just that I wanted to see what all the Hype is/was on Prima Luna Stuff. I like the fact you can use just about any tube in the amp, versus my Shuguangs that are EL34 compatible only. Want to roll some tubes and this Prologue 5 will fit the bill in that respect. Also it has 11 watts more power than my Shuguang's. You can never have enough power in my book. :naughty: Well hope it's what every body says in there reviews, about Prima Luna stuff. If its true,about what they say then I should be happy with the upgrade. If you have Prima Luna equipment make a comment here on what your thoughts are on Prima Luna gear I would like to hear your thoughts.
e61e4d88ce5ba1366cfbb8e8203829b7_large.jpg

Congrats!

Watch your tube collection grow! Tube roller’s dream.

What’s your pre-amp for it?

Love my Prologue 5, it really is a good one as you'll see when you get it in the house. Take the bottom cover off and marvel at the point to point wiring.

Next you'll have to get a Prologue 3 pre-amp... (Try and get one with the phonostage installed).
Swapping out the 12AU7 will get you the best increase in sound quality. Swap out the 12AX7's too.. The included Power tubes seem very good.

I tube rolled my pre-amp with some GE Black Plate JG-5751 in place of the 12AX7
the 5751 will give you 70% of the gain... But sound a lot better.

and the pre-amp and power amp with some RCA Clear Top side getter in for the 12AU7

For what you get with these amps for the cost they are giant killers.

Last edited:
Love my Prologue 5, it really is a good one as you'll see when you get it in the house. Take the bottom cover off and marvel at the point to point wiring.

Next you'll have to get a Prologue 3 pre-amp... (Try and get one with the phonostage installed).
Swapping out the 12AU7 will get you the best increase in sound quality. Swap out the 12AX7's too.. The included Power tubes seem very good.

I tube rolled my pre-amp with some GE Black Plate JG-5751 in place of the 12AX7
the 5751 will give you 70% of the gain... But sound a lot better.

and the pre-amp and power amp with some RCA Clear Top side getter in for the 12AU7

For what you get with these amps for the cost they are giant killers.

Thanks for the comment. I just bought the Jolida Fusion Pre 3 months ago so I doubt that I will be swapping that out anytime soon. I need to upgrade the tubes in the Fusion first before I do anything else. Which as Im typing now I was just getting ready to order some tubes.....I already have a nice Project Phonobox DS and a Music Fidelity V90 DAC wich I just bought 6 months ago as well. Am very happy with those purchases as well. I will keep in mind to replace the preamp side of the Prologue 5 Tubes first. I need a new TT first and fore most and am Looking at a VPI SUPER PRIME SCOUT W/ 10.5
5_a802cb52-28f7-471a-91c2-1ff10f94a621_large.jpg
got to sell some gear first though before my CC gets me into trouble:)

That VPI looks killer. You're going to have a fantastic setup. Never heard the Klipsch Heresy III. But Klipsch is supposed to match very well with tubes!

My last big upgrade was about a month ago going to a Denon DP75 in DK300 plinth. Stepping up to a great turntable makes a big difference (system is link in signature if you're interested). Report back on how you like the amp!

That VPI looks killer. You're going to have a fantastic setup. Never heard the Klipsch Heresy III. But Klipsch is supposed to match very well with tubes!

My last big upgrade was about a month ago going to a Denon DP75 in DK300 plinth. Stepping up to a great turntable makes a big difference (system is link in signature if you're interested). Report back on how you like the amp!
will do:beerchug:

20180407_154149.jpg 20180407_135231.jpg
It arrived. Needs break in time before I can make a assessment. So far I'm happy with its build quality and appearance. Sounds kind of shrill at the top end but that should probably go away once everything settles down and breaks in.

Day 2 Amps been on since I got it playing all day and night. So far so good, but the top end bite is still there. Maybe on day 3 it will simmer down:blah::blah: I guess tomorrow I will swap out the tubes with some ones that have hours on them and see if there is a difference. Its a keeper though not gonna return it for some minor shrill that can be tamed some or it still need to be broken in Im sure. Sounds great otherwise.:bigok:

Bought it off Upscale Audio, smoking deal on a really good amp should be here by Saturday. I will be hooking it up to my Heresy III's Was there a problem with my other Shuguang's that have been in my system in the past 3 years? Nope not a single glitch. I have used them Evey day from the time I get up till the time I go to bed, so there on all day every day. I never got tired of listening to this system. A testament on how good that China built stuff can last, and be just as good as American made stuff. Not opposed to American built stuff either, its just that I wanted to see what all the Hype is/was on Prima Luna Stuff. I like the fact you can use just about any tube in the amp, versus my Shuguangs that are EL34 compatible only. Want to roll some tubes and this Prologue 5 will fit the bill in that respect. Also it has 11 watts more power than my Shuguang's. You can never have enough power in my book. :naughty: Well hope it's what every body says in there reviews, about Prima Luna stuff. If its true,about what they say then I should be happy with the upgrade. If you have Prima Luna equipment make a comment here on what your thoughts are on Prima Luna gear I would like to hear your thoughts.
e61e4d88ce5ba1366cfbb8e8203829b7_large.jpg

Hey congrats on the new amp. I also bought a used Primaluna amp a while back. So far it has been great. It came with KT120 and EL34 power tubes. I thought the KT120s were a little harsh and have been enjoying the EL34s. I am considering getting some KT150s but I don't know if the big investment would be worth it. Enjoy the music!

So I today I decided to swap the tubes to see if I could clear up the shrill that I was still hearing. Put the mullard reissues 12ax7 in the prima, and to be honest I know these valves only have maybe at best 80 hours on them and it got worse. so then I changed out the 12AU7's and still shrill to no end even worse than of I would have just left it alone. So I took out the Stock 12ax7's Tong Sol out if the Jolida Fusion put in the Mullards and put the Prima back to factory tubes. Now this tamed the shrill to the umph degree. This I can live with. On the other hand its time to upgrade the Stock Fusion tubes first then work on the Prima if I even have too. Not sure its only day 3 with it playing so once again the break in still needs to happen. Its sounds a ton more warmer, than what it was, like I said I can live with it for the time being. Will get a set of Gold Lions?..... and start fresh on that Fusion pre amp. remember the Fusion I bought used so no telling how many hours are on them tubes. Plus there stock. At least the 12AX7 were. The other ones were change out with some Telefunkin and they were causing a pop so I removed them and installed some EH. The battle races on..... :lurk:

Hey congrats on the new amp. I also bought a used Primaluna amp a while back. So far it has been great. It came with KT120 and EL34 power tubes. I thought the KT120s were a little harsh and have been enjoying the EL34s. I am considering getting some KT150s but I don't know if the big investment would be worth it. Enjoy the music!
Isn't it grand to have your wallet drain looking for that perfect sound?:):beerchug:
Thanks for the reply

Tried some 6CA7's that have lots of hours on the PL sounds pretty good. Have a lots more tube rolling to do though as the sound is just way to bright for me:(
.20180413_112920.jpg
20180413_112939.jpg 20180413_112944.jpg
3689391bf389fadfdf4745f4d16b745d_large.jpg
Gonna try these in my Jolida Fusion next pay day.:dunno:

Beautiful amp! I really like the Psvane 12ax7 and 12au7 tubes. I replaced the stock tubes in my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II with these and they really made it sing! Just another option in case you are interested.

Update amp still shouts in my system. Order was placed for some Mullard CV4004 / 12AX7
17f1164adb746827e880226caf45354c_large.jpg
crossing my fingers that it will smooth out with these tubes. Its not my preamp like I thought it would be.

No I have not I'm still waiting on the tubes to arrive. They won't be here till next week. Then there is a break in time so it's going to be a little bit before I can make a comment.

Did you talk to Kevin at upscale?
Yes he recommended the Mullards CV4004. I was willing to try the Gold Lions, but he steered me toward the Mullards. Also I did take the Heresy's off their fabricated stands I built. Put the factory risers back on and they do sound very good back down to stock on the floor. Much more balanced sound. Im not a sub kinda person. Even though I have 4 in the room. I mainly listen without subs so I want to get it nice full balance sound without sub. I stream most of my music, but I got a ton of albums that I would rather listen to. Unfortunately without a proper sounding setup first and foremost the TT will sound like garbage till the main bones of the system is correct. And don't even ask me what piece of crap TT I wasted my money on:( Its all just a work in progress in the whole scheme of things.:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom