Primaluna Prologue Five

stoutblock

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington
Subscriber
I just acquired this Amp. Tubes are new to me, but I have heard enough systems to know I want to get to know them better. I don’t want to get too serious (I still have 3 kids to get through college) but I wanted something that had a quality sound and a solid build. I wanted something with point to point wiring with medium power. The KT88 tubes seem to have a favorable but maybe neutral reputation? Of course the stuff coming out of Asia is better on the Wallet but much of it of poor quality.

I settled on this used Primaluna Prologue Five Amp that I believe I got a decent buy on:

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue5.htm

It seems to have most of everything I was looking for. I have not found anyone that has anything bad to say about this Amp and all the reviews from back in 2005 are very complimentary. 6 moons gave it a great review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/primaluna/primaluna_2.html

One of the things that swayed me was the Adaptive Auto Bias that seems to be the best of both worlds? Certainly for a NUB like me and it can easily transition to many other tube types 6550, KT90, EL-34, KT77, 6CA7, 6L6GC, KT66, 7581, or even 6V6GT (at least per the documentation).

I’ve got a line on a set of Silverline Panatella III speakers which appear to have a good tube friendly reputations (92db).

Next I need to get a preamp that complements this level of quality. The Prologue three would suffice if can find a decent buy on one. any recommendations?

Anyway, being a tube NUB I’ll probably be asking a bunch of dumb questions but I would appreciate any help or input you more seasoned tube lovers can provide.

Did I do OK for a start?

Specifications
Output: 36 watts x 2
Freq. Response: 20Hz-85kHz /- .5dB
THD: Less than 1 percent at full power
S/N Ratio: 89dB
Input Sensitivity: 810mV
Input Impedance: 100k Ohms
Power Consumption: 225 watts
Dimensions: 11" x 7.5" x 15.5" (WxHxD)
Weight: 37.5 lbs
Inputs: 1 pair RCA
Outputs: 4 and 8 Ohm speaker taps
Tube Compliment: 2 - 12AX7, 2 - 12AU7, 4 - KT88

!BP73H4Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBJ2PN-l(iQ~~_1.JPG

Last edited:
Well, thanks for sharing. I've never heard that particular amp but it seems like it will give you the opportunity to get a flavor of many output tube types. I'd be interested in your listening impressions - also if you get the chance to audition any other amps, tube or solid state, in comparison.

Good luck with it!

Well, thanks for sharing. I've never heard that particular amp but it seems like it will give you the opportunity to get a flavor of many output tube types. I'd be interested in your listening impressions - also if you get the chance to audition any other amps, tube or solid state, in comparison.

Good luck with it!

Thanks!

Once I get my other listening room set up, I'll give some feedback on the pleasure level of this amp. It sure is a basic looking devise with none of the foo-foo trim of some of the other amps coming out of Asia. I guess it is designed by someone in Holland? Ceramic tube sockets, Nichicon and Solen capacitors, Toroidal power transformer.

Suppose to have 200 hours on a set of Genalex KT88s.

Any input on KT88 tubes of decent value/sound? Same for 12AX7 & 12AU7?

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd be driving the L1090's with the Primaluna - I have a pair (since 1984) and am using a Dynaco ST-70 (with a CUrcio premium board and 6B4G outputs - a whopping 8 watts).

Very, very sweet.

IIRC, those are around 89db efficient, and don't require all that much to sing.

Sorry for threadjacking.

If it were me, I'd be driving the L1090's with the Primaluna - I have a pair (since 1984) and am using a Dynaco ST-70 (with a CUrcio premium board and 6B4G outputs - a whopping 8 watts).

Very, very sweet.

IIRC, those are around 89db efficient, and don't require all that much to sing.

Sorry for threadjacking.

I was wondering about the sound of L1090s on a tube amp. The L1090s will be the first to check out this amp. I also know where there is a set of nice L1290/2 hmmmm?

These are a few write ups that sold me on this amp. Sounds like it likes the Prologue Three preamp...

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews/pro3and5tone.pdf

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews/pro3and5tav.pdf

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews/pro3and5tas.pdf

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews/hifipluspro35.pdf

Last edited:
Amp showed up tonight. Don't have my preamp yet but I hooked it up to a variable out cd player and played some Diana Krall and Dave Matthews.

It took about an hour until it settled down, but once it did, all I have to say is this baby makes my L1090s sing like they never have! Diana Krall's piano is in my living room! :music:

My great score on a First Sound Presence Deluxe is in high expectation!

Congrats, and welcome to the PL family!

I have the same amp. Bought it new Oct 2008.

To save a few bucks try replacing the input tubes first.

I have another tube amp (non auto bias) running new JJ EL34's for the outputs. I like the bass of the EL34's better than the KT88's. I have a set of Groove Tube EL34's that I have not tried yet (on either amp).

Auto bias is really a nice feature to have. Although setting the bias isn't that hard. I'm not a techie, I can handle a multimeter.

Stoutblock,

I always wanted to know which Solen cap they used as an upgrade to the RealCaps.

I saw a really fuzzy, low resolution photo underneath the chassis once. It appeared they were just regular old PPE series Solens. (black case, probably rated at 630V).

These PL amps look pretty nice.

. . Falcon

Stoutblock,

I always wanted to know which Solen cap they used as an upgrade to the RealCaps.

I saw a really fuzzy, low resolution photo underneath the chassis once. It appeared they were just regular old PPE series Solens. (black case, probably rated at 630V).

These PL amps look pretty nice.

. . Falcon

I'll take a peak inside and take a photo when I get a chance. Don't really know what I a looking at but I'm sure your guys will.

Have the amp hooked up to an older Denon receiver (pre out) while I wait for my other one to arrive. Fun to listen to anything acoustical that’s for sure!

It still has the original KT88s marked Premaluna. Don’t know what they are? Probably in the market and recommendation for some upgraded tubes. Input desired…

It still has the original KT88s marked Premaluna. Don’t know what they are? Probably in the market and recommendation for some upgraded tubes. Input desired…

Supposedly Genelax Gold Lion re-issues.

I pressed the PL5 back into service last night. I'll start another thread about why.

Had to add this.

PrimaLuna Model Five amplifier-- the upgrade version of the PrimaLuna stereo power amplifier. Features KT88 tubes, Solen caps, faster diodes than the Model Four. Rated at 38 watts per channel and able to drive floorstanding Dynaudio and Dali dynamic speakers (for instance) with no problem. Obviously, an excellent choice for Magnepans or other stretched panel speakers as well.

Pictures from 6 moons:

amp_open.jpg

amp_strip1.jpg

amp_strip3.jpg

amp_strip5.jpg

So what do I have in there. Worth upgrading???

My preamp is here tomorrow! :banana:

Listening to Miles tonight (god damn he sounds good on tubes!)

Back
Top Bottom