Primaluna Prologue vs. Dialogue Premium Integrated

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by Superunknown, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Superunknown

Superunknown New Member

Hi,

I've been looking for a good not so expensive tube amp to use with Tannoy Stirling SE.
    I've had the opportunity to try Audio Research VSI75, Leben CS300 and Primaluna Prologue Premium.

AR is on another level, but the price is there too. AR was with KT120 while primaluna is EL34. That for sure makes a big difference, but...
    Leben has that magic, but you're limited due to low power even with Stirlings (91dB) - it's ok for acoustic, vocal etc, but play some Pink Floyd and it goes flat.
    Then I've tried Primaluna Prologue Premium. For the price it's one of the best amps I've tried. These are the amps I've had at home for longer audition or owned them: Rega Brio-R, Rega Elicir-R, Naim 5si, Musical Fidelity M6si, Accuphase E270, Luxman 505uX and 550AX and now I own Exposure 3010S2D. I've also listened to a lot of other stuff in the shops. Not bragging, just want to give you a perspective. :)
    Now, I'm thinking of selling Expouse and picking up Primaluna. Since I don't like changing amps often, I was wondering should I go for Dialogue?

I've tried searching on the web but there is surprisingly low amount of info from users that have compared Prologue and Dialogue Premium int. Usually it's high praise for either.
    I know the specs, but what about the sound? How it differs form Prologue to Dialogue? Is triode mode worth the price difference?

At the moment I'm not interested in Line Magnetic since I can't audition it.

Regards,
    Borna

2. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

I run my Dialogue Premium power amp in triode mode almost all the time, FWIW. I am using KT-120s. They seem to sound much better in triode, don't know why.

Haven't heard the Prologue.

3. subtlebeast

subtlebeast Active Member

I only use Triode on my HP. The only complaint I have is I need to switch it to Triode every time I turn the unit on, since it defaults to Ultra Linear.

4. mcgjohn

mcgjohn Member

tough question. I have tried the PL prologue and dialogue in the power amps, and pre amps but not in the integrated.

as the other posters mentioned, if you want to run Triode, then there is only one choice. You should also ask yourself if your plan is to leave the amps stock or do any upgrades. I installed Jensen copper foil caps in all of my units. Huge improvement over the stock caps in either the dialogue or prologue. The build quality on both is very good. The only other option on the dialogue is a two position bias switch so you can run EL34s, power down,. insert KT88s, flip the bias switch and power back up. Pretty nice feature if you try different octal output tubes.

Your other option is to buy a prologue on the used market, if you find its not to your liking, you can sell and look for a dialogue.

best