Pro amp with AV receiver, help.

Infinity nutcase.
All I’m trying to do is use a remote control for the living room for volume control. Here’s what I have,

TV
Satellite box
Crown XLS 1502
Tube preamp, no remote control
RS 2.5 speakers

What I want to do is remove the tube preamp, stash it away as a spare and put a receiver in its place that has a remote. So I need a receiver that has preouts or jumpers that you take out for connecting the crown.

I’ve been looking for the better part of the day and not finding much. I’ve set myself to finding something used with a budget of $100 to $150

Can anyone here recommend an AVR that has preouts with a remote ? Within my bugjet constraints.

Help !

Use the headphone jack if necessary to drive the amplifier input. That will open up all kinds of budget options.

Do you just need two channels? If yes, and your satellite box has analog L/R out, then you don’t even need an AVR. Any 2 channel preamp, integrated amp, or stereo receiver with pre-outs will work, as long as they have a remote.

Which brings up the second question. If you are going to buy a receiver, why not just use it for amplification instead of your Crown XLS? Do your speakers require the power of the XLS? Sorry I don’t know what RS 2.5s are. Most home stereo receivers/integrateds/AVRs will be much quieter in the room than a pro amp.

That all said, there are probably many stereo receivers or AVRs with pre-outs that fit your budget. I’ll take a look and see what I can find.

Yes that’s them, not many receivers going to handle the power needs. I don’t have anything with a headphone jack that has a remote. And of course 5 minutes after I post this I see that many of the older Harman Kardon AVR receivers have the preouts I’m looking for. So probably just going to go that route.

I was looking at Denon and others, had a Denon 3805 that was pretty respectable but I’m not even sure if it had preouts, most of what I was finding is way over budget. And yes it’s only for 2 channel TV & Movies, Sirius.

I’ll still take any suggestions :thumbsup:.

You need pre out for a pro crown? New @$100-150 or used? That could be a tough one if new....

For those who are curious, here's the skivvy on those speakers.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/mod...81-86/Reference-Standard-2.5/body_rs_2_5.html

Please note these are four ohm speakers and, IMNSHO, I'd say they like power,

Although it might appear kludgy, faber12's sugggestion about using the headphone outputs might be the most economically feasible as it will allow the use of virtually any modern receiver, such as this. https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...00-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Last edited:
You guys have me there, that really does work huh. The headphone jack deal, so what would I do ? Use my 3.5 to rca cord and the bigger headphone jack extension and go right to it, RCA out from the Amp to the receiver headphone input and that’s safe to do ?

And thanks skipper, that’s a nice Yamaha recommendation.

All I’m trying to do is use a remote control for the living room for volume control. Here’s what I have,

TV
Satellite box
Crown XLS 1502
Tube preamp, no remote control
RS 2.5 speakers

What I want to do is remove the tube preamp, stash it away as a spare and put a receiver in its place that has a remote. So I need a receiver that has preouts or jumpers that you take out for connecting the crown.

I’ve been looking for the better part of the day and not finding much. I’ve set myself to finding something used with a budget of $100 to $150

Can anyone here recommend an AVR that has preouts with a remote ? Within my bugjet constraints.

Help !

Driving a Yamaha P2250c w/a Yamaha RX-V1600 and a QSC 1310 w/a Pioneer VSX-56TXi.

Be mindful of preout volt specs and amp sensitivity. I turned the front ch.'s up on the 1600 to have enough drive for the 2250.

Around '04&'05 avr's would be ones to look for, IMHO.

Good luck in your search.

Here's the cheapest that I could find, an Onkyo Integra DTR-30.4 AVR. It's at Accessories4Less. A good place to buy. I've used them.

(Edit) - If you want to try used, I'd recommend a Yamaha Aventage AVR. Their RX-A series receivers are very good. I'm sure you could find one of their AVR's, with pre-outs, within budget. Though, those Infinity RS-2.5 speakers deserve the best they can get. Maybe stay 2 channel. Find the best preamp you can afford, and build from there. There's an Acurus RL11, with remote volume and balance, on eBay (not mine). Above your budget, but an awesome preamp.

Last edited:
Why don’t you look for surround processor preamp? I have a H/K pt2500? That works great and has a remote. They can be had pretty cheap on ebay

Driving a Yamaha P2250c w/a Yamaha RX-V1600 and a QSC 1310 w/a Pioneer VSX-56TXi.

Be mindful of preout volt specs and amp sensitivity. I turned the front ch.'s up on the 1600 to have enough drive for the 2250.

Around '04&'05 avr's would be ones to look for, IMHO.

Good luck in your search.

Had a QSC 1310USA. Ultra accurate, very fast, and effortless 296 wpc. Still have a VSX-56TXi. Surprisingly good for two channel duty. I like the Kuro-ish look a lot.

Sorry was busy for a few days, called an old friend and he had one of these in his stash. Picked it up for a nice price and it fits the bill exactly and doesn’t sound to shabby !
79073B06-3983-4850-9CAD-71ABFB1F6539.jpeg Adcom 502
Trouble is now I don’t want to move it to its intended place...LOL.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom