Pro amps crown??

skinnypuppy

Thinking about picking up a crown xli series amp..I know generally it's thought of as a no no to run pro amps in a home setting but wondering if anyone has any experience with these

You can run pro amps in home settings. It's the specs which may be different than home stuff.

Nope, nothing wrong with pro gear. It took a QSC USA900 to really wake up my AMT1A speakers. Crown is a respected brand that many have used at home.

Well I think the better Crown pro amps are bit different than say cheap Chinese pro chip amps. It's just now a days there is 100s of very cheap pro amps that give all pro amps a bad rap.

Well I think the better Crown pro amps are bit different than say cheap Chinese pro chip amps. It's just now a days there is 100s of very cheap pro amps that give all pro amps a bad rap.

Pro amps have, in broad audience, gotten bad rap for home audio before cheap chip amps became prevalent.

Just look at old threads here on AK. They're poo-poo'd by many, embraced by a few. The few has gradually become more but still not many in the big picture.

Any thoughts on their ab designs.. Looking at the xli1500.... Trying to convince myself a class d ten pound amp is ok lol.. So also looking at the xls1502.... Other amp in the running...parasound 275

I'm running a Bose 1800 Series VI Pro amp at home, 450wpc, 20+ years old. It has a marginally loud fan but runs cool and sounds nice. It's probably not part of my 'forever collection' but for the cost, it's a solid performer.

Both of my Crowns have a large transformer and TO-220's. They also had noisy fans that I've replaced.

I wouldn't use the Crown XLI stuff at home, but the Class D stuff is really nice. If you can deal with fan noise (Which you seem to be able to, looking at the XLI series), look for a QSC RMX-1540 or RMX-850. They sound way better.

Back
Top Bottom