Pro-Ject Phono Box DS +

needforspeed

The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
As a charter member of the "Lets keep chasing the best analog tone and sound" club, I decided to try a new phono pre. I have been using the Angle Audio Ref, Which I like. I switch carts often, Moving Iron/coil/magnet, And have had my eye on this unit for awhile.

Due it's cost, It was not to be due to budget. When Music Direct reduced it to $399, I finally pulled the trigger. After about 40hrs of play, I can say, It sounds very smooth, And attenuated a rig that can be on the bright side. It's a very heavy unit for it's size, And set up is a cinch.

If you use different carts, Or want to fine tune on-the-fly, Give this a try. Will this end the never ending search, Who knows, I can say I think this is a keeper.

Reviewed/Tested with;
Bridged Carver M500t's
Pioneer HPM 100/900's(drivers)
Beringer EQ
MCS 6602/Pickering VX15/Shure M95SAS/Grado Black 8mz

Tunes
Maxell-- Classical Sampler
Pink Floyd--Wish You Were Here
Metallica--Black Album
Yes--The Yes Album

Attachments

• BASZ6P4CIAE7flN.jpg-large.jpg
    BASZ6P4CIAE7flN.jpg-large.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 30
I just got one of these and its very nasally sounding. Like around 1k or so theres a bump. I was listening to the Cure's Disintegration (180gm repress) and Smith's voice and the guitars are in your face. IS this something you experienced? I am running an ipod into it to keep tunes into it to burn in as I read 100 hours or so. I am comparing it to the onboards in my Sansui 2000a and I'm not impressed as much as I thought I would be.

Back
Top Bottom