Pro-Ject The Classic: very disappointing

brotherly

Hey everyone, just writing a quick post to share my findings on Pro-Ject's The Classic. For those that don't feel like reading, I found the table be to incredibly overpriced and the quality control is spotty at best. I'm very disappointed. I'd love to hear some other opinions/experiences.

I was initially drawn to The Classic because of its aesthetics and specs. I read a few very glowing reviews of the table around the internet, and although the Ortofon 2M Silver cart that it ships with isn't the most praised cart in the world, I figured I'd be upgrading that eventually anyway. So I decided to pull the trigger.

At first, I was in love. It's a beautiful table and a breeze to set up. I don't love the dangling anti-skate counterweight system, but it works fine. It also requires you to manually change the belt placement to change speeds, but this isn't unusual, so I don't mind that at all. Anyway, I was up and running in maybe twenty minutes tops, and I was totally smitten.

Until the next day. I changed the belt from 33 to 45 and noticed some noise coming from the motor/spindle. Okay, I thought, no big deal, right? It's just a little hum. But when I put the platter back on, I could still hear the noise. And then I heard what sounded like the bearing scraping against the housing. So I took off the platter, double checked that the belt was in the right position, and tried again.

Still scraping and motor noise. An $1100 should not have any audible motor noise, period. I played around with it some more, but the noise just got worse from there.

In the end, I returned the table. I'm not keeping an expensive table that makes noise. I figured that maybe I just got a defective turntable, and ordered a replacement right away.

The second table does the same thing. The bearing scraping noise isn't as prevalent, but the motor hum/noise is. I don't know if this is just how these decks sound, but I'm incredibly disappointed. I can hear the very faint sound of the motor from 5 feet away in a quiet room. That's unacceptable.

There are some other minor things that I'm not impressed with. For example, using the RPM app on my phone, I found that it keeps speed right around 33.41 and 45.26 which is OK but not great, although it was pretty steady. I don't love the tonearm holder, which uses a little magnet to keep it in place. It didn't work very well on the first table, although it's much better on the second, but that's just another example of quality control issues.

Overall, it's a visually beautiful table. But I can't abide an expensive table with audible motor hum, no matter how nice it is otherwise. I've bought quieter tables for $50 at a yard sale. I'll be returning this second table, feeling very disappointed. I'll be trying the Soto Moonbeam next, unless anyone has any suggestions.

I understand the frustration but I would give the dealer a chance to correct the issue.

You did remove the transport screws, I hope?

I understand the frustration but I would give the dealer a chance to correct the issue.

You did remove the transport screws, I hope?

lol, yes, of course I removed the transport screws. I was very, very careful to set it up. Made sure it was nice and level using its adjustable feet etc etc.

I gave the dealer a chance to correct the issue. I got a second table, and it had the exact same issues. Frankly, I don't see how setup could effect motor noise unless I was throwing it around the room (I wasn't) or if I did something boneheaded like leave the screws in (I didn't).

Two different tables with issues suggests a quality control problem to me.

Returning it for a replacement is not giving the dealer a chance at all. It's getting another box straight from the factory. But it sounds like you're buying over the internet which just isn't the best way to spend $1,100 on delicate mechanical equipment, IMO.

Returning it for a replacement is not giving the dealer a chance at all. It's getting another box straight from the factory. But it sounds like you're buying over the internet which just isn't the best way to spend $1,100 on delicate mechanical equipment, IMO.

I get what you're saying about not buying online, but some people don't really have any other choice. Fact is, I got two tables, and both had unacceptable issues. I'm putting that info out there, because I haven't seen a single mention of any problems with The Classic, and yet I've had such a crap experience. People can make up their own minds from there.

Sorry to hear about your Classic. You did the right thing. If you have a problem with a brand new table send it back. Two strikes and they are out!

I have a Project RPM3 with no issues, no hum, no scraping, perfect. I love the artfully crafted 10" S-tonearm with magnetic Anti-skate. It also has adjustable alt-azimuth.

It came with three metal discs for the feet. Without the discs I could hear slight ambient bearing noise (nothing thru the speakers). After I fit the points of the feet into the dimples on the discs the bearing was dead silent.

Not all Project tables are bad.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK, and thanks for the report.

I've had motor or scraping noises from far too many otherwise-good turntables - Music Hall MMF 5, Rega P5, Marantz TT-15.

This report is very disappointing indeed - by specs and pictures alone, this table seemed to be promising.
Sounds like iffy quality control, turning out tables with too much differences between separate examples - which is a vary bad thing.

This seems to a constant theme with new turntables, hit and miss quality control along with design and materials that are right on the edge. Used to be $1,000 was entry level to audiophile performance and according to a recent thread on AudioAsylum from their members with current experience with new tables the price has risen to about $2500 for an entry level audiophile table with reliable performance.

This seems to a constant theme with new turntables, hit and miss quality control along with design and materials that are right on the edge. Used to be $1,000 was entry level to audiophile performance and according to a recent thread on AudioAsylum from their members with current experience with new tables the price has risen to about $2500 for an entry level audiophile table with reliable performance.

AudioAsylum is that site where the audiophiles on the cable message board argue the merits of $500 USB cables and $1000 interconnects.

$2500 for entry level TTs? :rolleyes:

AudioAsylum is that site where the audiophiles on the cable message board argue the merits of $500 USB cables and $1000 interconnects.

$2500 for entry level TTs? :rolleyes:

VPI Scout: $2200
ClearAudio Concept: $2200

So not that bad yet....

The SOTA Moonbeam seems a like a great 'table. I had planned to buy one myself a couple years ago, but unexpected expenses plus the inability to audition one locally led to the purchase of the less expensive Rega RP3 instead. I'm in no way disappointed with the Rega's performance, but I still wonder what life with the Moonbeam would have been like.

This is not what I hoped to read about the Classic. Since it hit the market, I was hoping to read good reviews and it was on my short list. It's a shame Pro-Ject cannot make a turntable without issues. As long as these issues continue, the best buy for a turntable is vintage.

When I check in to AudioAsylum what I see is most of the members equipment/tastes aren't in the mega buck arena of $500 USB cables and $1000 interconnects. Maybe off by a couple hundred $ but still quite close re the entry level audiophile tables now with price tags of $2200+.

This is not what I hoped to read about the Classic. Since it hit the market, I was hoping to read good reviews and it was on my short list. It's a shame Pro-Ject cannot make a turntable without issues. As long as these issues continue, the best buy for a turntable is vintage.

In this price range, $1000-1500, you might be able to get a nice used high-end turntable.

In the past couple of months, eBay bidders have snagged:

LINN SONDEK LP12 ITTOK LV ll TONEARM PSU-CLEAR LID TURNTABLE - $1426
VPI Scout with Custom Acrylic Base and Dust Cover - $1300
ORACLE TURNTABLE WITH SME SERIES IV MAGNESIUM TONE ARM BENZ MICRO REF CARTRIDGE - $1319
VPI SCOUT 1.1 Turntable, Satin Black w/ JMW -9 Tonearm - $1300
VPI Industries Scout Jr. High-End Audiophile Turntable - $1275
Refurbished Linn Sondek LP-12 - $1156
SOTA Sapphire Turntable w Sumiko Tonearm & Denon DL110 Cartridge - $1000
VPI HW19 Mark IV Turntable - $900

Of course, shipping is always a problem, but sellers of these types of turntables are more likely to understand proper packing technique.

Thanks for the info. This model is on my list as a potential new table. Might have to think twice now.

Back
Top Bottom