Pro-ject Tube Box II or Yaqin MS-23B

bjlefebvre

Hello all,
Doing some homework before dipping my toes into the wonderful world of tube preamps. I'm currently working a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2m Blue into an Emotiva XPS-1 and into a Tivoli Model Two receiver. Eventually I'll move the Tivoli out and go for a better main amp and bookshelf speakers. I'm not planning to get into mc carts anytime soon, though - after the Ortofon, I have a Nagaoka 200 lined up. But for now, anyone have any pros/cons between the Pro-ject Tube Box ii and the Yaqin? I have a line on a used former that puts it at only a $75 premium to the latter. Is there any real difference between the two?

I tried both and they both perpetuated a hum in my system that I never really tracked down. I bought and returned 5 different phono pres before settling on a new SS preamp with phono stage built in. The project had a nice small footprint which I liked and sounded clean at high gains. The Yaqin was my least favorite as it sounded terribly distorted, even after some tube rolling. I never tried any of the internal mods people do on them though since I was returning it. I tried all the preamps with both a Yaqin mc100 tube amp and a Carver SS amp. Given the price discount you mention, the project would be the clear winner.

Edit- as I was tracking down an issue, I tried the preamps using a variety of Shure, Denon, and AT carts.

Last edited:
Thanks, Vince. That was helpful. Pulled the trigger on the Pro-ject preamp. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work well I can flip it.

Had a Tube Box SE II for a couple of weeks now, mine is very quiet with no hum. The tubes I got it with are not stock (Gold Lion). It's a great listen with loads of detail and frequency extension, and a massive improvement on the built in phono stage on my Arcam Alpha 7. I also use a MP200. Enjoy!

Have the Yaqin 23B and changed to 5751 tubes due to hum with the 12AX7's and sounds very nice.
Hooked up to Yaqin Mc10T, Thorens TD 318 Garrott MC :music:

I may eventually try a Yaqin - they're cheap enough - but so far really liking the Tube Box ii. As mentioned above, it's dead quiet, and the frequency range is good. Definitely worth the dough. I have yet to roll out the stock tubes, but I have a pair of NOS Philips waiting in the wings

fwiw, I had the Yaqin's predecessor, the MS-22B. My first impression was "wow - lots of bass", second was "lots of highs", and there it was laid out: "boom and tizz". I didn't mind the bass at all, but the high frequencies seemed harsh to me, ymmv, as did my friend's whom I gave it too. He liked it into his Pioneer AVR, but took it out when he upgraded to Rotel AV separates. Took out a Yaqin tube buffer too. To my ears, an intact Hafler DH-110 phono stage, out through the tape-out, outclasses the Yaqin by several grades, and is still my stock budget phono recommendation. Again, fwiw.

:)

Back
Top Bottom