Pro-Logic. It's fun!

Clmrt

Just thrilled.
So my daughter is just now getting into Harry Potter, so we watched HPATSS last night.

But not before Daddy got his AV fix and wired up surrounds for his Yamaha RX-V870. It's been 10+ years since I've watched anything in Pro-Logic.

I ran the show in Phantom with KRK K-Rok monitors in the front, ADS L400 in the rear, suspended from the ceiling and firing straight over our heads. A DVP-S7000 spun the plastic.

And, I really, really like what it does. Or doesn't do, actually. The usual force-fed surround tracks, overactive LFE and general overstimulation I remember from 5.1 was gone, replaced by just the hint of ambience when appropriate. Big rooms sounded big. The woods had air and depth to the surroundings. The dungeon was ominous and forboding.

It had a real effect on my daughter - she had a great time and was more involved in this movie than I would normally expect.

I like it myself. I use a Yamaha amp with pro-logic. I only use it watching movies. Sends 60 watts to the center channel and 15 wpc to the rear. It works alot better than watching the movie in stereo. I have been using this thing for maybe 15 years now.

And, I really, really like what it does. Or doesn't do, actually. The usual force-fed surround tracks, overactive LFE and general overstimulation I remember from 5.1 was gone, replaced by just the hint of ambience when appropriate. Big rooms sounded big. The woods had air and depth to the surroundings. The dungeon was ominous and forboding.

Mebbe you got the levels and distances more properly tuned in this time around?

No no, I was more than a little obsessive and used meters and tape measures. Always have been.

The "first time around" was 1998 - 2008. Dialed in, over-spent and fretted over perfect 5.1 so much I finally cracked and went 2-channel. I couldn't relax and enjoy the show. I'm not sure why you might think I less than properly tuned it up the first time around. When you find yourself watching nothing but the depth charge scene from U-571 over and over, it's time to stop and think it over.

Then I found an RX-V870 last summer. I used it happily in stereo mode until just last night.

I meant to infer that Pro-Logic isn't so in-your-face like DD / DTS can be. Not that modern soundtracks always are, but in Phantom Pro-Logic with the rear channel dialed up just so, I felt more like a good two channel event was taking place, with minor but effective ambience added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom