Pro sports

It'll be interesting to see how many athletes stay true to their beliefs as the downward trend of viewership continues and their income levels follow.
This seems to be cascading. They, and more to come, may well be in for the long haul

Except you may have missed the part where at some games, the owner was standing right next to the players -- and from what I've heard, all the players have the support of all the owners.

Yes, that's true. However, many sports fans don't agree with the protests of the anthem and ultimately they are the customer. At that point if protesting the anthem affects their business the owners can require the players to stand during the anthem. Whether they should or not is their call.
In the end all I'm saying is I stand for our national anthem with my hand over heart and I'm proud to do it. I find it disrespectful when others don't. It is their right not to stand as it is mine not to like it.
Thanks noogies, I appreciate your viewpoint.

Maybe I'm getting old but all the changes to sports over the last 40-50 years have killed the enjoyment for me. Nascar: a person used to be able to tell a ford from a chevy or mopar by just looking at the car. Baseball: oversaturation of teams and the pitch count so there will never be or even get close to a 30 game winner ala Denny Mclain. Football: the rule changes to increase scoring and the antics of the players after a td, sack or first down. Come on, act like you've been there before. Basketball: seems like all they play are the last five minutes. Sports have gotten to be such a cash cow that if anybody gets a scratch on their foreskin they are sitting out because of an injury. Just progression of the game I guess.

Still upset over the whole pigskin thing? I would be pissed too if someone inflated my bladder and pranced up and down a field.

Eh that was a long time ago in the dark ages of our culture. During that time where your relatives were traveling from the midwest to California to pick fruit. :cool:

Regards
Mister Pig

Given the traditional white nationalist fan base of this sport, I'm not surprised. Check the demographic of the majority of participants.
It famously originated with backwoods rumrunners, someone I knew unknowingly acquired one of their stealth cars as a youth.
The point taken here was about the team owners (employers) expressing their expectations upon the team.

You used to could see the CEO of a multi BILLION dollar company speaking with the janitor about the last NFL game, or spewing stats on completely EQUAL terms. Football brought us together like no other single source. We know which side ruined that and my feeling is that if you watch NFL, take a knee. It's sad that the ONE thing we all could ALL come together on in conversation, without politics or prejudice, is now gone.

Shame.

Penn State v. Iowa. That was a game. And that's what I watch...2 equal teams..close score...late in the game...same with Florida-Kentucky.

I watch a good amount of English Premier League Association Football ("soccer" is a corruption of "Association") on TV, and don't miss American professional sports much at all. Nothing in the states that has the drama of promotion and relegation of teams, or of watching "my" team Leicester City win the Premier League (no playoffs) after being 5000 to 1 longshots in the sports books at the start of the season, seven years after they were relegated down to the third tier league.

Never really thought about it before, but I don't recall "God Save the Queen" in any EPL match run-ups. The players in the EPL are a rather international lot, though.

Yes, that's true. However, many sports fans don't agree with the protests of the anthem and ultimately they are the customer. At that point if protesting the anthem affects their business the owners can require the players to stand during the anthem. Whether they should or not is their call.
In the end all I'm saying is I stand for our national anthem with my hand over heart and I'm proud to do it. I find it disrespectful when others don't. It is their right not to stand as it is mine not to like it.
A well-considered response. While we may not agree entirely, I appreciate your viewpoint as well.

And herein lies the problem, a lack of understanding on the issue. None of them are "protesting" the anthem or the flag. They are acknowledging the flag and anthem while on one knee to bring awareness to other issues that cannot be discussed here

Pro football turns me off more for the "actors" celebrating every first down and tackle. What's next? Offensive guards celebrating a block by dancing around flexing his muscles? Pro basketball it seems like they don't play hard until the last 5 minutes. Soccer is too slow. Baseball is nice to have on while listening to music. Hockey is a game worth watching. Love road racing bikes.
Overall, celebrities kinda get under my skin. Many times they value their opinion more than the guy in the street. Their views mean nothing at all to me. If they are good, generous, and kind, then I respect them. If they want me to walk to work while they are flying around in a private jet, they are buffoons.

I personally will never pay my hard earned money to see these guys play children games while getting paid millions, all the while the Police they are protesting get paid in a year what many of them make per game. It's bad enough the Parking in $25 and a Beer is $11 and a 20c Hot Dog is $6. Talk about ripping off the public.

What annoys me more than the protests is how these guys dance around and jump about like a 5 year old after they 'did their job' that they just got a million to do. I can't imagine what people would think if I did a Snoopy Dance every time I closed an issue at work.

I am all for Freedom of Speech and Expressing ones belief, but do it on your own time and not while being paid millions by the fans, sponsors, and yes the Military who pays extra for the NA to be performed. It is part of the job, like it or not, and if not get another job.

And herein lies the problem, a lack of understanding on the issue. None of them are "protesting" the anthem or the flag. They are acknowledging the flag and anthem while on one knee to bring awareness to other issues that cannot be discussed here

Yes, you are correct. I do understand the original issue. I disagree with the forum used to protest the issue. I should have been more clear in distinguishing between the two; though I still find it disrespectful. But, alas, so many viewpoints, too little time. Ces't la vie.

No, I don't watch pro sports for reasons already mentioned.

I do watch college football but am increasingly disillusioned by its evolution.

Yes, you are correct. I do understand the original issue. I disagree with the forum used to protest the issue. I should have been more clear in distinguishing between the two; though I still find it disrespectful. But, alas, so many viewpoints, too little time. Ces't la vie.
My intention was not to single you out, sorry about that.

There is certainly a interesting dichotomy developing among the replies here. Apparently many sports "fans" here, at one time or the other, but disdain rears it's ugly head once $$ is involved. Why? Because it results in a higher price you pay for Budweiser? Really?

NFL=National Felons League
Back in the mid 90's I was invited to participate at an industry seminar held on the campus at University of Miami. During a break, we were given a tour of the clubhouses/locker rooms at the athletic facilities, where pictures of former UM football players lined the hallways. The guide referred to the pictures as "mug shots"!:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom