ProAc Studio 118

Great report, Dan. Those ProAc's look to be real winners. Hope to hear them one day.

I'm still waiting for my shipment! A week late but they were made when they were ordered in December apartently. I'm excited to here them with the speed and resolution of the cyrus gear. First spin will be xrcd dire straights brothers in arms then to Metallica black album. Then TOOL and in that order lol. I really appreciate your honest feed back I check daily haha. Thanks so much I will be here with bells and whistles on when they do. Mike

Yes, they were just made for sure. My room has smelled like freshly cut wood since I placed them on my stands. Not overpowering at all, more like an accent. Smells nice. It's still in the air but starting to diminish. So in addition to sweet sounds, you may have the bonus of an air freshener for a month or two as well.

Do you guys mind telling me where you were able to purchase the 118s?

Thanks,
Lin

Hi Lin,

I don't think this will help much with you living in the U.S., but I bought my 118's from Ovation Audio, a dealer just north of Toronto. I've gone to Ovation for several years now and they are great to deal with.

Stereotypes in Portland told me as recent as 2 weeks ago that they could still get them.

No, but you might want to call your dealer for an update. Who knows, they might be getting closer.

Mine took at least a few weeks to arrive. Often when I have ordered new gear in the past, it arrived within a few days. So for some reason the ProAc's took significantly longer.

I am guessing it's getting close. I was at the point where I was about to send off a text to my dealer asking for an update when he sent me a message saying they had finally arrived. It will be worth it in the end I think.

There finally here Ill be hooking them up tonight and letting them burn in while im working. I havent seen them yet but I cant wait.

After a hour of playing which I shouldn't do is listen critically but they sound a lot smoother up and down and the middle than the quad 11l's. From distant memory these sound fuller and more rounded than the tablets did and even my D28's which cost $6000 to these $2000 and at this point I woukd take the 118's? Whoa slow down right but these are smooth chocolate not the sound from my other proac's I remember where they were light and the top end domainted not these.

After a hour of playing which I shouldn't do is listen critically but they sound a lot smoother up and down and the middle than the quad 11l's. From distant memory these sound fuller and more rounded than the tablets did and even my D28's which cost $6000 to these $2000 and at this point I woukd take the 118's? Whoa slow down right but these are smooth chocolate not the sound from my other proac's I remember where they were light and the top end domainted not these.

Nice! What finish do you have?

And yes, I would say if any part of the frequency range stands out it's the bass. But the speaker is very nicely balanced and I don't feel anything is missing anywhere.

I didn't find my Sig 2000 had a dominant top end. I think they gave me the nicely balanced sound that the 118 does, only the 118 is just incredible down low with amazing weight and fullness for the size of speaker. It made me realize how lightweight most standmounts I have tried sound.

But it's great to hear these hold their own against more expensive ProAc models. I hope to put in a long listening session tonight.

I have my CD player spinning right now and have since 430 AM I should be home by 710 PM tonight so well see with a few more hours does to the sound. I was really shocked even with my proac's on the end of a three piece parasound system I found them light and I thought the Quads were good and they are but opening on So far away Brothers in Arms I was wowed. These 118's are not the proac's I remember where I found them light on the bottom middle was always good and the top end sweet but these are really good and that bottom end will open up as time goes on. I cant wait to get home from work

Hi,

Interesting thread especially since there's really not much available info on the Proac Studio range.

I picked up a pair of 115s when they first appeared and have recently been looking for a worthy upgrade. Not that I'm unhappy with them but you know how it is...

The D2s might have been a logical choice but I feared they might dominate my smallish (untreated) living room both physically and bass wise as would be the case for most floorstanders. The LS50s are impressive in some ways but I'm not sure I could get along with them long term.

Now that I'm reading all the glowing comments on the 118s I'm wondering if they might be a worthwhile upgrade or more of a marginally lateral move.

In case some are wondering why Proac's distibution is not what it used to be. A friend who used to work for a Proac dealer confided that Proac's profit margins are comparitively small and that some dealers dropped them because of that or that they would tend to steer potential customers towards other, more profitable, brands.

I can't compare these to the 115s, since I have never heard those before.

The one thing I dislike about the speakers are the cheap grill pegs. I felt like one or two might break as I was first pulling off the grills. That's a pet peeve of mine...I really wish manufacturers would go to magnetic pegs or just use higher quality plastic ones. But I got them all off and the grills are staying off...so I guess that solves that problem.

Hi,

Interesting thread especially since there's really not much available info on the Proac Studio range.

I picked up a pair of 115s when they first appeared and have recently been looking for a worthy upgrade. Not that I'm unhappy with them but you know how it is...

The D2s might have been a logical choice but I feared they might dominate my smallish (untreated) living room both physically and bass wise as would be the case for most floorstanders. The LS50s are impressive in some ways but I'm not sure I could get along with them long term.

Now that I'm reading all the glowing comments on the 118s I'm wondering if they might be a worthwhile upgrade or more of a marginally lateral move.

In case some are wondering why Proac's distibution is not what it used to be. A friend who used to work for a Proac dealer confided that Proac's profit margins are comparitively small and that some dealers dropped them because of that or that they would tend to steer potential customers towards other, more profitable, brands.

I would think it would be more of a lateral move but in all seriousness the 118's are cracking for the price almost like a new set of ears was involved but still that proac balance remains. Id be afraid that the D2's though good wouldnt justify the move up if your wanting a change the 118's could be your flavor and I know exactly how it is!!! I believe this is completely redesigned from the ground up

Back
Top Bottom