ProAc Studio 118

I checked a couple of places and only the store mentioned here on page 4 said they could get me a pair. They said that they would have to order and it takes a while to get them; $2200 + shipping to me.

I just upgraded my system to a cyrus pre Dac and power amp unfortunately the power amp is the let down. It's old from 2009 and the pre Dac Qx is new and after coming from the 8xpd that my proac's sounded splendid on this older amp with less power didn't cut it. I ordered the new cyrus stereo 200 it's a new digital amp just below there mono amps. But the proac's sound lovely and can't wait to here them on 200 watts a side.

Art did you read about the Appolo and Saturn problems experienced by Doug Schroeder on our staff?

"Well, it seems that being first can sometimes be a mistake. I am now convinced that I must caution potential purchasers in regard to persistent operational issues surrounding the Rega Apollo and Saturn cdp’s. It grieves me to have to do so, considering that they are in most respects superb. However, after working with no less than five players over the run of their production, receiving private emails from frustrated purchasers, and seeing continuing concerns on threads online, I have concluded that Rega does have a problem with these cdp’s, and to date has not properly addressed it."

http://dagogo.com/reconsideration-of-the-rega-saturn-cd-player

Art did you read about the Appolo and Saturn problems experienced by Doug Schroeder on our staff?

"Well, it seems that being first can sometimes be a mistake. I am now convinced that I must caution potential purchasers in regard to persistent operational issues surrounding the Rega Apollo and Saturn cdp’s. It grieves me to have to do so, considering that they are in most respects superb. However, after working with no less than five players over the run of their production, receiving private emails from frustrated purchasers, and seeing continuing concerns on threads online, I have concluded that Rega does have a problem with these cdp’s, and to date has not properly addressed it."

http://dagogo.com/reconsideration-of-the-rega-saturn-cd-player

I did not read that, Richard, but it sure is true. The Apollo R's are worse yet by a long shot.

Sorry for the late reply they took about 2 months by the time I had them in my house.

The dealer called Proac and they have shipped last Friday. I should have them home around Tuesday! Do you have any advise on setting or burn time? I plan to do like you did, play them at low levels and gradually raising, not pushing them too early. My amp Is a little naim 5si and I have been told that proac used that same amp at Bristol to demo the 148. Ill post my own review soon when ill. get a sense of the speakers. Your own review have been appreciated and helped me décide for proacs. Thanks!

They took the usual 50-75 hours then 100 and from there open up a bit more for about a month. I love naim as well which is a bit of red vs black since Cyrus is my gear of choice but the naim has a level I love as well. I have the new stereo 200 coming which is 3X more powerful than I'm using now. I only have the inside corner tied in a 1/4 inch for imaging. They still hit the middle this way and image well. I've come from the tabbies and D28's and I still prefer these for getting into a recording. I can't wait to here how they sound on your naim gear please keep me informed I'll do the same when my new power shows up. Where are you from? Me I'm from western Canada

I've had a set of Proac studio 125's here for a number of years paired up with
an old vt60 ARC amp. I am a fan of the sound. The 125's were a dealer trade in
and I picked them up for a reasonable price. I've been hearing others
say the newer models have been improving on the sound.
I may have to go to my local dealer and give these a listen.

They took the usual 50-75 hours then 100 and from there open up a bit more for about a month. I love naim as well which is a bit of red vs black since Cyrus is my gear of choice but the naim has a level I love as well. I have the new stereo 200 coming which is 3X more powerful than I'm using now. I only have the inside corner tied in a 1/4 inch for imaging. They still hit the middle this way and image well. I've come from the tabbies and D28's and I still prefer these for getting into a recording. I can't wait to here how they sound on your naim gear please keep me informed I'll do the same when my new power shows up. Where are you from? Me I'm from western Canada

Hi, Im from eastern canada.

Im sure you will have a huge improvement in dynamics and bass response with your new cyrrus.

148 review soon :)

They are home and playing right now. They supposedly need time but impressed right away at first song. The sound is warm and sensual compared to my older spendor s6e they offer much better balance playing bass at low volume already. Its crazy how I didnt like my older speakers and just wanted to like em and was beeing selective to play only the songs that sounded good on them at the volume where it would be balanced. These proac just destroy spendors and put them to shame. Sound is balanced and wont leave you frowning for agressivity and austere feel. I just try to stay composed but I would scream otherwise, im hooked ! What a great speaker. I love these proac 148.

My dealer has a pair of older spendor's set up S9 so there huge in size and sound. A straight across deal was thought about came home listened to my proac's and went no chance these just sound to good to give up. These are a speaker that I call the entry line but maybe the best overall value in the entire line up. I'm a hard rock metal fan and these are perfect.

I agree Mike, hard rock is my favorite genre as well and the 118 sounds great with that kind of music. Not gutless like a lot of speakers I've tried. They really handle everything well, but for hard rock I need the music to have drive and foundation and the 118 does not gloss over this part of the sound.

pyrrhon, nice to hear that the 148 is living up to your expectations!

I agree Mike, hard rock is my favorite genre as well and the 118 sounds great with that kind of music. Not gutless like a lot of speakers I've tried. They really handle everything well, but for hard rock I need the music to have drive and foundation and the 118 does not gloss over this part of the sound.

pyrrhon, nice to hear that the 148 is living up to your expectations!

Hi Fusion,

I find your impressions also describe the 148 very well. I really think they have for rock too. Listening to foals prelude right now and the song really takes of and lifts you with it. Another thing would be blue from a perfect circle the way it renders the ambiant guitare echoes at the en is impressive. And on the same album a song like vanishing shows cohérence while i could berely listen it on
my older speakers. Im almost shocked how good they sound!

My dealer has a pair of older spendor's set up S9 so there huge in size and sound. A straight across deal was thought about came home listened to my proac's and went no chance these just sound to good to give up. These are a speaker that I call the entry line but maybe the best overall value in the entire line up. I'm a hard rock metal fan and these are perfect.

Spendor old s serie cannot rock. No wonder some audiophile quit listening to hard core when they have these delicate and thin sounding systems ;)

Its weird after 72 hours continuous playing something new! The have accelerated! Im listening to Savages Shut Up and cant beleive the pace. Much faster then im used to.

I'm a huge tool fan and luckily there albums are mastered wonderfully. 13th step though is one of those where sound quality shines on a good system. Pet is one my testing songs and the Orchestra background on the nurse who loved me. I'm still waiting for my Cyrus stereo 200 to show with a set of crystal cable IC's. These proac's need more refinement than I'm offering them right now.

I'm a huge tool fan and luckily there albums are mastered wonderfully. 13th step though is one of those where sound quality shines on a good system. Pet is one my testing songs and the Orchestra background on the nurse who loved me. I'm still waiting for my Cyrus stereo 200 to show with a set of crystal cable IC's. These proac's need more refinement than I'm offering them right now.

Nice, seems like we have similar tastes. I have found Undertow in vinyl and bought it last week, I always loved that album but could never really get the best of it till now. It really shines on these speakers. The speaker still evolves toward tighter bass and better mid details. It's good enough but if it wants to go further I won't complain ! Keep me update how it plays when you get your new amp.

Back
Top Bottom