Probably a dumb question: preamp connections

Sometimes I'm not too smart. :)

I have a Pioneer VSX-D811S that I used to enjoy but with all the other gear I've acquired it's just sitting there. I got interested in using it as a preamp for a Crown power amp but I'm not 100% sure I'm looking at the wiring correctly and needed a little hand holding.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...t_11221/50034VSXD711_811_2002412145041730.pdf

If you go to page 24, it shows the preamp outputs, but the way its drawn has me a little confused. It looks like a regular RCA but the way its depicted shows a single wire splitting to two RCA connections. Am I overthinking this and that's just a regular red/white RCA cable? I know I'd have to use a an XLR adapter for the Crown.

Mostly I'm curious to see what will happen short of turning whatever speakers I hook up to it inside out. I've been reading some interesting things about Crown amps and you see them around for pretty darn cheap so it's mostly an experiment in high SPL's :)

Thanks in advance.

It’s depicting stereo hookup except for the center channels and sub. Although I’d be inclined to tap from the REC CD/Tape output if your listening in stereo. Then you don’t have to worry about any preset surround sound equalization that might be in the mix.

Just use the outputs labeled front and set the AVR for stereo. I don't think using the record output will work, they're usually a set line out not adjustable with the volume control.

I used a VSX-D811S in my home theater from 2002 - 2015 and I can confirm that the pre-outs work in the traditional manner. For many years I used an external amp for the big front left and right main speakers and used the internal amp for all of the small speakers on the other channels.

Sometimes I'm not too smart. :)

I have a Pioneer VSX-D811S that I used to enjoy but with all the other gear I've acquired it's just sitting there. I got interested in using it as a preamp for a Crown power amp but I'm not 100% sure I'm looking at the wiring correctly and needed a little hand holding.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...t_11221/50034VSXD711_811_2002412145041730.pdf

If you go to page 24, it shows the preamp outputs, but the way its drawn has me a little confused. It looks like a regular RCA but the way its depicted shows a single wire splitting to two RCA connections. Am I overthinking this and that's just a regular red/white RCA cable? I know I'd have to use a an XLR adapter for the Crown.

Mostly I'm curious to see what will happen short of turning whatever speakers I hook up to it inside out. I've been reading some interesting things about Crown amps and you see them around for pretty darn cheap so it's mostly an experiment in high SPL's :)

Thanks in advance.

If the Crown amp has 1/4" inputs you can use these with any RCA cables you already have.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...S4qcdCflwDH1CzE8FAsDhHfAPr0Ci-thoCujoQAvD_BwE

They're quite common. Just be sure to get TS adapters like the example shown, not TRS adapters.

I used a VSX-D811S in my home theater from 2002 - 2015 and I can confirm that the pre-outs work in the traditional manner. For many years I used an external amp for the big front left and right main speakers and used the internal amp for all of the small speakers on the other channels.

Right no, thanks. I got mine before I really got the bug, girlfriend at the time worked for Pioneer and got it for me as part of a once a quarter employed "VIP" sale and I was still single/no kids and therefore disposable income. I'd probably be still using for HT it if weren't for all the obsolete connections.

That's my lady, it's her 55th birthday today, the picture was taken last yr, it's one of her favorite shirts lol.

Haha, nice. I'll have to get my lady to make me an avatar holding some strategically placed drivers or something. The trick will be to get her to WEAR a shirt ;)

Back
Top Bottom