Probably shouldn't do this but...

Tronk

AKA Cheapo
I purchased a bluetooth transmitter with the thought of sending audio signal from my receiver to a small 6w powered bluetooth speaker at the rear of the room for some clarity and dialogue while using my 5.1 receiver while watching movies.

Scrapped that idea when I noticed the audio on the bluetooth setup lags a bit behind the 5.1 system so I tried all the audio outs I have available and they all lagged. My last resort was wiring the bluetooth speaker to the center channel on my AVR which is already connected to my 6 ohm 60w center speaker, so I tried it just for the hell of it.

I now have the sound I desired, but my 100w center channel on my AVR has the center channel speaker and the 6w bluetooth speaker wired to it. Watched a movie for about a half hour with it set up like this and it sounds great, nothing fried, and the fan on my receiver didn't turn on.

Not sure what an 8 ohm output on my amp running a 6 ohm center speaker and a small powered 6w bluetooth speaker totals to in ohms, but it's probably not good for the amp.

I am completely confused as to how the bluetooth speaker is connected to your receiver at all. Please explain, and a picture can be worth a thousand words.

My bluetooth speaker has a 3.5mm audio input so I used it as wired connection rather than wireless. The wire I used has a 3.5 male on one end and bare right and left wires on the other which was connected to the center channel speaker outputs on my amp along with the right and left wires from my center speaker.

I'm now using an RCA cable with a 3.5 male on one end and an RCA plug on the other connecting a DVD player audio out channel to my 6w powered bluetooth speaker to avoid the load on the amp.

The first version sounds like you should have blown up the Bluetooth speaker's input, what you are doing now will prevent damage, but makes volume leveling difficult between the receiver and the Bluetooth.

Sounds like you need a better center channel or receiver if you are having difficulty understanding dialogue.

Another thing that can help is to turn the center channel output up higher in relation to the rest of the channels by a few db.

By the way, welcome to AK from a fellow Ohio member. What area do you hail from? I live in Tiffin.

I have a similar situation here, my main system is in the living room and is on when we have people over but it has to be unreasonably loud in the house in order to hear it on the deck. I did a bit of research and the avantree Bluetooth transievers came highly recommended as having as near zero latency/lag as possible.
I am happy to say that when I stand at the patio door in the kitchen I cannot hear any delay between inside and outside the house, it’s a great solution to my issue maybe it can work for others.

AD81F89A-6D42-4EF8-8559-4321C7AA542C.jpeg D2F05C50-74A8-4030-B82A-503D5ACC611D.jpeg

Another thing that can help is to turn the center channel output up higher in relation to the rest of the channels by a few db.

By the way, welcome to AK from a fellow Ohio member. What area do you hail from? I live in Tiffin.

I have the center channel speaker level increased to its max and have Dynamic Range Compression set to its max as well. It is doing the job but I have a bit of hearing loss, so that small extra speaker at the rear works out great for me. My mains have no level adjustment and they pretty much dominate. I'm ok with what I'm doing now because I don't play it really loud (playing my center speaker at somewhat low SPL likely a big part of the issue) because my neighbors are close, and I don't live alone.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm in the Dover/New Philadelphia area.

I have a similar situation here, my main system is in the living room and is on when we have people over but it has to be unreasonably loud in the house in order to hear it on the deck. I did a bit of research and the avantree Bluetooth transievers came highly recommended as having as near zero latency/lag as possible.
I am happy to say that when I stand at the patio door in the kitchen I cannot hear any delay between inside and outside the house, it’s a great solution to my issue maybe it can work for others.

View attachment 1384054 View attachment 1384055

I may look into it further in the future. I just got the Soulcker transmitter from Amazon that didn't work out and that was $50 wasted. Since it's a receiver as well, someone in the family may use it, or I may sell it. It's great for music, just don't do well matching up with what my AVR's doing (somewhat expected this).

What model is your AVR, main, center and surround speakers? Do you have the surround speakers turned down on the AVR? Most, if not all, dialog (and most other front sound) in a movie comes from the center speaker and not the front left and right. Should also be the same for TV shows broadcast in DD, as well.

What model is your AVR, main, center and surround speakers? Do you have the surround speakers turned down on the AVR? Most, if not all, dialog (and most other front sound) in a movie comes from the center speaker and not the front left and right. Should also be the same for TV shows broadcast in DD, as well.

Surrounds and Center are adjusted to max, and Dynamic Range Compression adjusted to max,

My amplifier is a Panasonic SA-HT280 - 100 watts per channel.

Speakers I'm using are...

Center - Dayton Audio C452
Main - 2 Zenith Allegro 3000
Standalone Tweeters (Mid room) - 2 Optimus SH-21 with PAC BB-6PR bass blockers wired in parallel with main speakers
Rear Surround - 2 Columbia (Dennon) CMS 700
Powered Sub (Mid room) - 1 Infinity BU-1
Passive Sub (Under sofa at rear center of room) - 1 GMI-2506

Center Speaker Specifications: Power handling: 60 watts RMS, 120 watts max Impedance: 6 ohms Woofer: Dual 4-1/2" polypropylene cone with 4-layer voice coil Tweeter: 5/8" polycarbonate with Ferro fluid cooling Frequency response: 85-20,000 Hz Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W/1m Crossover: First order high pass

Try turning the rears down to a normal level as they can be detracting from the dialogue.

I'll try that, but those really don't seem to get that loud and there's not much dialog from the in surround mode. I do get dialog from them though if I switch the DSP to SFC.

Yes, that would help. I'd keep SFC off. What is the sensitivity of the front speakers compared to the center?

Yes, that would help. I'd keep SFC off. What is the sensitivity of the front speakers compared to the center?

Ha Ha Ha, the only thing I know about those Zenith Allegro's is they're 50 years old and still pounding. I've read that my receiver is known for heavy bass output, so maybe that has something to do with it. I can have DRC set to the max and bass is still somewhat heavy.

Thought about getting a graphic EQ so to make adjustments, but don't want to take away from anything.

Some quick googling shows the allegros may be upwards of 89-90 db sensitivity rating. That extra sensitivity plus the large, boomy nature of those beasts may just be overpowering the much smaller center channel. It's normally advised to have the three front speakers to be as close to identical as possible.

Some quick googling shows the allegros may be upwards of 89-90 db sensitivity rating. That extra sensitivity plus the large, boomy nature of those beasts may just be overpowering the much smaller center channel. It's normally advised to have the three front speakers to be as close to identical as possible.

Looks like I'll need to build a bigger shelf and buy another Allegro to use for a center then.

Man my wife's gonna hate seeing that big thing above her TV.

Back
Top Bottom