Probably shouldn't do this but...

Good idea. Now all I need is a couple decals that look like three way floor speaker fronts without grilles and I'm in.

Last week I actually had a 4 ohm Yamaha pc speaker wired in parallel to the center channel, and it was doing the job.

Some quick googling shows the allegros may be upwards of 89-90 db sensitivity rating. That extra sensitivity plus the large, boomy nature of those beasts may just be overpowering the much smaller center channel. It's normally advised to have the three front speakers to be as close to identical as possible.
Beat me to it. :)

You could try adding some resistors in line with the front L/R speakers. Maybe even some 100watt potentiometers would work well. That would give you some control to turn them down relative to the rest of the system.

I was looking at potentiometers, but wouldn't those make the amp do more work as well?

Wish my Allegro's had the 16 ohm woofers, I could wire other speakers in parallel with them and take some oomph away.

I can adjust level on only the center, surrounds and sub.

Ya, I reread your post, I was mistaken. I'm still surprised an AVR wouldn't have a means to adjust the mains. Does the menu allow setting the mains for "small", "full range" etc? If so try adjusting these settings.

If the AVR has line out for the mains try connecting a separate amplifier with gain control.

This AVR was originally part of a HTiB including it's own set of speakers. No settings for speaker size. I kinda read the manual online. Lol.

I was looking at potentiometers, but wouldn't those make the amp do more work as well?

Wish my Allegro's had the 16 ohm woofers, I could wire other speakers in parallel with them and take some oomph away.

Not really, it would be the same as volume controls for in wall speakers etc. For that matter Niles makes a speaker selector with adjustable gain that should work perfectly.

71Ny2JTt7gL._SX425_.jpg

speakers in parallel withe
Ya, I reread your post, I was mistaken. I'm still surprised an AVR wouldn't have a means to adjust the mains. Does the menu allow setting the mains for "small", "full range" etc? If so try adjusting these settings.

If the AVR has line out for the mains try connecting a separate amplifier with gain control.
I'm pretty sure I have them set to small and at 10 feet in distance. I'll check size tomorrow.

Not really, it would be the same as volume controls for in wall speakers etc. For that matter Niles makes a speaker selector with adjustable gain that should work perfectly.
I thought the Niles unit was only to protect from going under 4 ohms.

This AVR was originally part of a HTiB including it's own set of speakers. No settings for speaker size. I kinda read the manual online. Lol.
If you find a level adjustment for the mains let me know, but I don't think there is.

Size only for center and surrounds. Make sure center and surrounds are set to small so bass is redirected to sub if you have one.
This make may dialogue clearer. But, me thinks it's the mains causing the issue.

I'll check that too thanks.

It does sound great, it may be just me with my hearing loss, nobody else here is complaining.

Back
Top Bottom