Problem or not? [1060]

xoaphexox

Supernatural Anesthetist
Okay,

I was just finishing the recap of my 1060 when I came across a large oil paper cap (C008 0.033uf 800V) wedged behind the power supply and back panel. I cannot get to this capacitor because the screw that holds in the voltage selector is stripped. I have to unscrew the voltage selector from the back in order to get the back panel off.

In the schematic it looks like this cap is only used to run in parallel between the two power outlets on the back of the unit, neither of which I will ever use.

Here is my question:

Should I bother trying to get back there to replace this cap or is it never even going to have juice through it because I do not use the power outlets on the back of the unit?

Thanks!

(edit) Looking at the service manual again, it appears maybe I do use this cap - it is connected to J014 which is a terminal but I am not exactly sure what that means or what function this one has...

xoaphexox said:
Okay,

I was just finishing the recap of my 1060 when I came across a large oil paper cap (C008 0.033uf 800V) wedged behind the power supply and back panel. I cannot get to this capacitor because the screw that holds in the voltage selector is stripped. I have to unscrew the voltage selector from the back in order to get the back panel off.

In the schematic it looks like this cap is only used to run in parallel between the two power outlets on the back of the unit, neither of which I will ever use.

Here is my question:

Should I bother trying to get back there to replace this cap or is it never even going to have juice through it because I do not use the power outlets on the back of the unit?

Thanks!

(edit) Looking at the service manual again, it appears maybe I do use this cap - it is connected to J014 which is a terminal but I am not exactly sure what that means or what function this one has...
That cap goes across the mains switch SO02. It's used to prevent sparking across the switch, so it's always used.
You should replace it with an equivalent plastic capacitor, same value, same or higher (e.g. typ. 1000V) voltage rating. DO NOT operate your 1060 without it. Oil paper caps have a long service life so don't remove the original cap until you have the replacement at hand.

Back
Top Bottom