Problem with McIntosh tuner MR 7082

pietro b

Hello
maybe something where I can get some help:
My MR 7082 , in relatively good conditions, has the frequency indicator stuck to 800 for AM and 80.0 for FM. frequency changes Ok but the meter does not. weird that it is stuck to 800 and 80.0 for AM and FM.
Any suggestions on where to look?
Thanks in advance

Welcome on AK , the right MCINTOSH info sources !

Yes , I will look first the batteries who should be bad if the unit :
- is disonnected from mains since a long time
- due to his age , the charge will not work because bad batteries .
If I good remember , with MR7082 and MR7083, tuning do not work if there is no batteies or batteries bad

MR7082-batteries.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, the batteries ar NiCD battery and not an alkaline one. the voltage is 1.2V and not 1.55 (as for alkalines for example).
anyhow I found that the issue was on a diode connected to the battery charging so in some sense you were right! thanks.
I must admit that looking at the circuit I have no idea why the tuner behaved like that - mistery for me. still as it now works I am happy , even if puzzled.
Thanks!!!

Yes , diode would be the next step if batteries were good . I saw that more than once .
The cause is very often because acid coming from batteries is damaging pcb and most of case , the diode soldering point .
check the diode, it should be good

enjoy your tuner !

@clinic-audio , hello, I am unearthing this thread as I am having the same issue with my MR7082. Which diode would that be, is it on the Controller/Counter board?

Sure enough I was not getting any voltage at the battery terminals. I found out that someone had attempted to replace the battery holder but wired it incorrectly. This is now corrrected and the memory works perfectly! Thanks again @clinic-audio!

Back
Top Bottom