problems with a yamaha r-5 receiver

Habsfan

I just want to say hi to all. Found this neat website. I hope someone can give me some technical advice to someone who is new to this kind of stuff.
Everything works in this receiver except the fact that the fm frequency takes a "break" every 15 minutes. It stays on, but no fm stations are available on the yamaha receiver. I shut it off and wait a couple hours and then it works again for about 15 minutes. What do you think I should look for ? Any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to AK
fm frequency takes a "break" every 15 minutes
Commercial break..:D

Probably a thermally sensitive microchip or solder connection..

Last edited:
I don't remember anything like this on the R-5's- this is likely going to have to be diagnosed with some sleuthing.

I have a vague memory of defective varicaps on both the Yamaha and JVC products, but I have no specific recollection.

What Habsfan is going to discover is how ANNOYING working on an R-5 is...

Trying a bit of freeze spray may be the way to go. It sounds like this is happening after the unit gets warm. The first thing to try would be to open the unit case up and blow a fan inside the unit, as it is operating. If you do this, and it does not cut off after 15 minutes, then you know that heat is causing the issue and the freeze spray may help isolate where the problem is specifically located.

I will try your suggestion. But why is it only the FM stations that don't work? The last time I got it to work I was listening to an FM station for only 15 minutes before it stopped working. I went over to the receiver and tried the AM stations and they worked fine. I shut the receiver down and then tried it two hours later.......same results. I am very new at fixing things like this. Any help will be appreciated.

I will try your suggestion. But why is it only the FM stations that don't work? The last time I got it to work I was listening to an FM station for only 15 minutes before it stopped working. I went over to the receiver and tried the AM stations and they worked fine. I shut the receiver down and then tried it two hours later.......same results. I am very new at fixing things like this. Any help will be appreciated.

That Will help narrow down the possibilities ..AM works-FM don't.. The R-5 like other recievers has two seperate tuning sections AM and FM...

If you have a varicap diode that goes leaky or defective with heat, that will do bad things to the tuning circuits/local oscillator and kill your FM (or AM). Could be other things as well. I might get a hair dryer and some freeze and see if you can speed up the diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom