Problems with my new CR-2020

luker

I purchased a Yamaha CR-2020 locally. It is near mint condition physically but has some problems. Not sure if this is something I can fix or should bring in for service.

The first time I turned it on, all the lights worked but no sound at all. After 5 minutes I heard a click and when I turned up the volume it worked. Then it stopped again but will click then work again. It will work until I turn the balance or volume knob after it clicks. Also, it sounds a bit fuzzy and sometimes only one channel is working. The more I have played it the better it seems to get. Sometimes I can adjust the volume without it stopping. Is this something that a complete cleaning with Deoxit will cure or is this destined for the shop?

Thanks,

...luker

Sounds like the power supply/protect circuit needs to have a couple capacitors replaced and all the switches and controls clean/deoxitized with a CAIG Deox-it treatment.The prolonged delay of the protect relay " setting" usually indicates
1.Insufficient voltage to operate the relay due to a bad cap or dodgy transistor relay driver.Or a faulty relay ( very remote possibility )
2. Excessive DC voltage at the speaker terminals--can check your DC offset with a multimeter --one of the amplifiers may have issues.
Both will require some technical troubleshooting.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=43466&postcount=1

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. I just dropped off the unit to be fully serviced and repaired. I can handle cleaning but that is the end of my ability. Good thing I have a back-up. I probably should acquire additional backups just in case. I am going to start looking right now.

...luker

If the idle current is not set properly it can upset the DC offset (yeah, I know it sounds wierd) causing the protection relay to go in and out.

Back
Top Bottom