problems with sansui au 6900--suggestions?

wesleyjoseph

hi,

i am new to this forum. a bit overwhelmed by the amount of audio-knowledge displayed throughout this site.

some background information about my sansui au 6900. i bought it second hand a while back and really enjoyed it. i play mostly records with it on an old dual 1225, and a few cds too. i have a pair of celestion ditton 15xr's which arent spectacular yet solid nonetheless. in fact, i quite like them. overall, i thought the sansui in conjunction with the dittons provided a deep full sound that worked just fine for my relatively inexperienced ear. however, the other day i turned on this system and i noticed that the bass coming out of the right speaker channel was a bit weaker than that coming out of the left. i checked all cables and everything was connected properly. over the course of a few days, the signal became weaker and weaker to the point where now there is only sound coming out of the left channel.

so, my big question here is, what is the problem? can i get this fixed or do i have to ditch this fine looking (once fine sounding) piece of audio equipment?

to be sure it was the amp, i hooked up another amp i have, an old yamaha, and it works fine. full signal from both channels. this would seem to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the speakers and that the problem is with the sansui.

i would appreciate any advice anyone might have out there as to (a) the problem; and, (b) how (if at all) i might fix it.

any insights would certainly be appreciated as i hate the idea of putting this thing out on the sidewalk...

thanks.

wj

Hi WJ,

The amplifier you have is one of the Sansui bests. I was using it for a while until i upgraded to AU 7900. It should be a some caps or transistors issue,but for this you need to get a good experience technician who is well verse with sansui vintage amplifier. Why i am referring to the good tech is because my recently AU 7900 had issue with the output trasistor and tech who repair it could not actually solve it. Now the amplifier is with one of my friend who managed to solve my earlier AU 777 issue which 3 different tech failed. My AU 7900 is now going for a full recap n will be completed soon but my tech is trying the best to get the orginal transistor was changed by the previous technician. The secret receipe is you have to look for a very good technician unless you are wiling to do it with the help of our own ak guys.When i did the comparision between both the 6900 and 7900,i feel that the AU 6900 has the edge on tighter and more bass compare to the AU 7900 but in term of sound stage,build and features,the AU 7900 wins.Good Luck

Last edited:
hi,

i am new to this forum. a bit overwhelmed by the amount of audio-knowledge displayed throughout this site.

some background information about my sansui au 6900. i bought it second hand a while back and really enjoyed it. i play mostly records with it on an old dual 1225, and a few cds too. i have a pair of celestion ditton 15xr's which arent spectacular yet solid nonetheless. in fact, i quite like them. overall, i thought the sansui in conjunction with the dittons provided a deep full sound that worked just fine for my relatively inexperienced ear. however, the other day i turned on this system and i noticed that the bass coming out of the right speaker channel was a bit weaker than that coming out of the left. i checked all cables and everything was connected properly. over the course of a few days, the signal became weaker and weaker to the point where now there is only sound coming out of the left channel.

so, my big question here is, what is the problem? can i get this fixed or do i have to ditch this fine looking (once fine sounding) piece of audio equipment?

to be sure it was the amp, i hooked up another amp i have, an old yamaha, and it works fine. full signal from both channels. this would seem to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the speakers and that the problem is with the sansui.

i would appreciate any advice anyone might have out there as to (a) the problem; and, (b) how (if at all) i might fix it.

any insights would certainly be appreciated as i hate the idea of putting this thing out on the sidewalk...

thanks.

wj

Welcome to AK, if you post a new thread in the forum it's likely that the experts can help you.
Casey

First thing...

If you have never cleaned the pots on your amp, that is the first thing you need to do. Get some De-Oxit and give all the potentiometers a good cleaning. If you do put it out on the sidewalk, would you please PM me your address! (LOL)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom