Project 120 3-Way Speakers

Panamafred

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What do you guys know about this Project series of speakers? Just picked up a nice looking pair for $15, and am very surprised at how good they sound :music::music::music:. I gathered from a forum search that they were made in USA to cut down on shipping, but there isn't a lot of info out there on these. Looking forward to swapping out the caps and seeing how they sound. But as for now, my Paradigm studio monitors are going to take a vacation to the basement.

Looks like they were $160 in 1980, $400 in today money. They looked cheap in the thrift, with simulated wood grain, but do they sound good plugged into the SX-737. Pretty cool, was listening to the MFSL American Beauty and put my ear up to each of the three drivers and could Jerry Garcia's voice split into three!

Any of you pio-nuts have any opinions?

I had a set that came with my first Pioneer system in the late seventies, high school years. I worked those speakers hard (drum practice), woofers pumped some serious air from those ports. Replaced the tinsel leads numerous times, blew the tweeters and hacked in and replaced with those aluminum Realistics. Wish I still had them, I do have everything else though. Tossed them when the foams finally went years later. I'd like to find another nice pair.

I have a pair of the Project 100A three ways; they sound way (way) better than they look like they should.

Project100A by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Not sure I ever heard the 120s but I wouldn't be surprised if they were more than respectable based on the 100As.

I have a pair of 100a's specifically chosen for their sound quality (dealer technician back then, remember?? LOTS of audition opportunities) the price was a happy surprise.

Years and years ago, before the internet (and eBay), finding speaker repair supplies was difficult when the suspensions deteriorated...

So new woofers that fit were usually grafted in.

This is what the original woofers looked like, same black crinkle finish as the other drivers. This picture is the Pro Musica 120 which I have a set, but the project 120s I believe had heavier woofers.

pioneer_promusica_120.jpg

This is what the original woofers looked like, same black crinkle finish as the other drivers. This picture is the Pro Musica 120 which I have a set, but the project 120s I believe had heavier woofers.

pioneer_promusica_120.jpg
what are the pro musica120 crossover points?

This is an old thread but I have the 100's my sister gave me in late 80's. Surrounds were shot and I installed a pair from radio shack that sounded pretty good till our dog ate the surround on one! sadly I threw out the original woofers but they had a lightweight magnet from what i recall even though they sounded decent from when i remembered at my sisters place. And I don't recall them looking like the pro musica woofers just normal baskets. the foam speaker grates had also disintegrated in mid 80's. I measured them last year for a woofer from parts express but think I need to modify the hole to fit.

Back
Top Bottom