project 2325

amexjoe

so happy to have found this forum :)

found this honey at the value village for 35$ and just had to have it. my bro bought one back in the early 70's and wow what a fabulous sound.

so the problem is that the right channel cuts out after about 5 minutes.
if i slide the balance over to the right there is very distant and weak sound out of the right speakers.
problem is there on all setting, am, fm, phono, aux and tape.
the unit works fine when i connect my laptop to the main jacks,
totally shakes the entire house. runs all day and night no problems.

so far i have sprayed contact cleaner at the pots and push buttons.
lots of the contact scratching noises have disappeared.
push buttons release much easier.

so whats up with the channel cutting out?
please help
thanks

Check the plug going into the pre amp, under the bottom cover. Clean the black crud off of the pins.
Also check the solder joints at the plug to board while your there.

Also, spray contact cleaner in the pre out/main in jacks and insert some rca plugs several times. The internal contacts can get bad connections.

Maybe the relay has bad contacts as well. When the sound disappears, try briefly flicking the volume up then back down. If that brings the sound back it's likely the relay. It can be cleaned (deoxit on a piece of paper, slide the paper between the closed contacts several times ) but it is better to replace it.

success !!! thank you all for stepping up and helping out.
actually i gave the old girl a couple of wacks to the rear plate just at the speaker jacks and low and behold the right channel can back online.
ok, not very scientific but i remembered that magazine ad telling everyone that the marantz was 'built tougher than a bloomin' tank'.
and it is.
then i checked those pre amp connections and thank you al lou min i um for the corrosion.
cleaned up to shiny and finished with some dielectric gel on the contacts, just to me sure.
more cleaning and dusting today and thats a wrap.
wow, the sound is extraordinary, so much better than i remember
my living room was immediately transformed into a concert hall
now i need to start saving for some proper speakers to keep up.
cheers all and if it isn't loud, whats the point !!!

finished with some dielectric gel on the contacts

from Wikipedia : A dielectric material (dielectric for short) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field.

I'm not sure thats what you want to use here......
look up deoxit G5, that's what you need. (D5 followed by F5 for pots and switches, D5 followed by G5 for rca jacks and speaker terminals)

I use dielectric grease on plugs to ward off corrosion.
I figured we use the stuff on car connectors and it works good for sealing out moisture.

I always wondered how electrical connectors work so good inside of transmissions, being they are in oil, but they do because the oil stabilizes the temperature like a heatsink.

Bad connections get hot unless they have something to cool it. grease keeps it cool during a spike in amperage and keeps the connection from degrading due to the ability of the grease to transfer heat.
This helps maintain the integrity of the spring tension of the connector. Loosing that tension and corrosion, is why connections fail. :)

On a side note,..
I was at a shop the other day and the owner was telling me that he has found burnt off wires on fuel pumps mounted inside fuel tanks. Now thats scary:yikes:

Back
Top Bottom