1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Project One Mark 800 Pics

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by saltwater, Feb 16, 2008.

1. saltwater

saltwater AK Subscriber Subscriber

no nudies but outside shots! :thmbsp:

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bikehorn

bikehorn Transmission Line Junkie

Nice looking receiver! Any info on it? I saw a Project One turntable on eBay the other day. Looked not half bad.

3. saltwater

I cant find anything on it! nothing, notta. Its in good shape, dc offset is a wopping .02 per channel. and its as big as a sx-1980. need to recap the preamp board but that can wait! I would not mind if i could get a project one turntable, the reciever has 2 phono inputs.......

4. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I've only seen one Project One and it was a low end model. The knobs and switches were all a yellowish plastic that had been silverized. The coating was coming off and looked horrible. I passed on it. Yours on the other hand looks very clean and solid. Nice find.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. saltwater

This one has all metal toggles and knobs! minus the plastic insert! This is a very nice unit, only real prob is the preamp caps have expanded out of the caseing..... and lil rust on the inside by the transformer, been thinking about tearin git apart and giving it a good sanding!

6. yrly

yrly Breaking records is good?

7. saltwater

Its basically the same layout as yours, except mine has one preamp... and one amp. you got two preamp boards, one for each amp..... my preamp is on the left of your tuner and the amp is next to the transformer and caps.. ill get a pick up. but i dont want to go taking that thing out right now, just hoisted it up on the rack.... but ill do it! pics to come..... eventually

8. saltwater

Pics of insides!

Here they are, This thing is just a beast, We need a project one club on here cause there is no info! I wounldnt mind a project one banner with my sig!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the board oabove this i need to replace the caps on it, they are pushed out of there sleeves, any idea on what i should get, i wrote em all down. Theses are elna caps, is elna good bad ugly? ive found there website, but which is better...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DSChamber

DSChamber Well-Known Member

Cool looking receiver... looks very "Pioneer'ish" .... or was Project One a Pioneer rebadge?

The only thing I don't like is those little red LED indicators.. to me it looks like an after thought, they did such a beautiful job on the rest of the receiver but then it was like " Oh yeah we need some indicators, lets just have the LEDs stick out the dial plate"....

Other than that I like the look of it....

10. saltwater

Some say pioneer, they also say playback..... ??? need a manual for it.. got one? hehe.. I wish the led's were diff color, but i cant complain.. everything works on it, just need to recap that one board.. also those yello lights, man they are yello wish i could find some white one, pure white, like 65ook. flourescents would be nice.

11. DSChamber

DSChamber Well-Known Member

It's not the color of the leds that sort of puts me off... its the fact that they just simply stuck the end of the led out through the faceplate.. it would have been a much nicer look if they used a flush colored lens plate and have it lighted from behind...

If the yellow lights you are referring to is the dial backlight, I like it, maybe a tad to bright IMO, but I love the warm glow.... I wouldn't change it to a pure white or flourescent, it wouldn't look right, again that's just my opinion.

12. saltwater

I can see where you come off. The leds are stuck out there, and looks cheap. But they are behind the glass. I have removed them and looked over them, as the original owner said one didnt work right. I went around today and looked for bulbs for it, they are a wedge bulb, none locally that can be bought. In case they burn out. I dont plan on changing them to another color, but would like it to be whiter, not so yellow. Also the bulbs got this blueish green hue to them, i wiped the shi* out of them , but didnt come off.

13. saltwater

Anyone ever find a manual for the 800?

14. saltwater

15. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

I seem to remember the Project One's were made by Pioneer exclusively for a Chain of Stores in the late 70's and early 80's . Can't think of the name sorry...
    Everyone I knew that had one liked them alot.

Barney

16. secondslc

secondslc mmmmmarantz

Nice receiver!!!!

I used elna cerafines on my 2215b and LOVE the sound of it. They took months to come in and cost about 80 dollars.

I then tried the FC series from panasonic, and that sounds great too. Whats nice is that digikey stocks them, and theyre cheap.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155960

Let me know if you need help!
    :thmbsp:

17. noprayer

noprayer For The Dying

Reminds me of a Pioneer SX-1250 minus the toroidal transformer.

18. fritz

fritz Member

Pacific Stereo

I'm not 100% sure but I think they were sold by Pacific Stereo stores in the Chicagoland area at least.

19. Poppajohn

Poppajohn New Member

Project One was the house brand for the Playback audio chain store. My guess is that Best Buy is headed to the same obscurity that Playback now "enjoys"

20. AnalogDigit

AnalogDigit Realistic fan.

I own a Project One Mark 600 receiver. It is rated at 60 watts per channel. Sounds great, but the only bad thing about the receiver is the meters do not work. Project One was the house brand for the Playback stores in the Chicago area during the 70's.