Let's put it this way, low ESR is something that becomes a factor in switching power supplies where the capacitor actually starts to dissipate heat, thus a low esr cap will run cooler.
It can't hurt to do the bypassing.

Well, the big boys do it with their high-dollar amps, so I do too. I'm not one to question the reasoning of Nelson Pass and John Curl, so in some aspects of technology I simply follow their lead (smallish film cap in parallel with the big electro).

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/bypass-caps-on-main-filter-caps.609632/

:dunno:

I had talked with Matt before he did my 1250 and 1280 about adding bypass caps on the filter caps. He was not in favor at that time. SN can you post your reason for adding them to your project? Also can you express to us the sonic difference it creates?

Some high quality builds have them... not sure I have a baseline to compare. I do it as part of all rebuilds. 2.2 uF stacked films (Panasonic) ~250v. I have done on all my 5 or 6 rebuilds. Must admit all my stuff sounds great... after being refreshed. Maybe I am not an audiophile?

Noted the use of them in my research and MTF specifically said 2.2 was his flavor. As a huge fan, I blindly followed suit.

I don’t think they hurt... but I cannot verify they help. (good link above).

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....acitors-in-lieu-of-original-resistors.800510/

Last edited:
Sansui almost always use bypass caps on the main filter caps in their bigger more high end amps...

Can't hurt, not sure if I can hear any difference....

I have a sx1250 that plays well except for a slightly noisy balance control on the right channel only. If you leave it alone in the middle it is fine. Very clean, all lights everything works. Does it really need work? Boy is this thing heavy, or am I getting weaker?

Thanks for spreadsheet. Ordering parts from Mouser and starting my sx-1250 soon! I've learned so much from this forum. Hopefully, I can make a contribution someday.

Did you notice a difference in sound after re-cap? I did a recap on a SX-1050 and find it relaxing and stressfull at the same time :) So I am a bit undecided if I should do a recap on my 1250, so far,he has been performing well, except that for the 1250's pre-amp sound a little bit too warm for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom