Proper use of Denon EXT IN Connections

TinCanAlley

Duck, you sucker!
Okay, I've read the Denon manual and talked to Oppo. Still not clear on how to do this.

I have an older Denon 5803A with no HDMI. I just got the Oppo 203 UHD player. Since I have not digital inputs that can handle anything higher than DD, not the ability to decode them, I am going to use the Ext In connections. That's were my question comes in.

With the player connect to these inputs, what setting do I choose in the receiver's setup? Analog or DSP? And what does DSP do?

When the connections are made, will the receiver handle the speaker size, distance and bass management? Is that what the DSP setting on the receiver is for? If so, then I leave the players settings to large speakers, 0 distance, etc? If the receiver doesn't, then I have to set all those in the player?

The Denon manual doesn't go into detail as to how this all works. I want to make sure the routing of bass signals for the small speakers make it to the sub and that delays and such are correct.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I've read the Denon manual and talked to Oppo. Still not clear on how to do this.

I have an older Denon 5803A with no HDMI. I just got the Oppo 203 UHD player. Since I have not digital inputs that can handle anything higher than DD, not the ability to decode them, I am going to use the Ext In connections. That's were my question comes in.

With the player connect to these inputs, what setting do I choose in the receiver's setup? Analog or DSP? And what does DSP do?

When the connections are made, will the receiver handle the speaker size, distance and bass management? Is that what the DSP setting on the receiver is for? If so, then I leave the players settings to large speakers, 0 distance, etc? If the receiver doesn't, then I have to set all those in the player?

The Denon manual doesn't go into detail as to how this all works. I want to make sure the routing of bass signals for the small speakers make it to the sub and that delays and such are correct.

Thanks in advance.
I am using my udp 203 with my Onkyo TX-nr1000 and Yamaha RXZ-1 the same way and you have to choose multi channel in on your receiver not sure what your denon calls it but it should be similar. Second all your controls I.E. Speaker size, distance, crossover settings and speakers volume is handled with the Oppo, if you go into speaker settings in the oppo you will see this, you will also choose to use 5.1 7.1 or just 2ch via the oppo as well.. Hope that helps.

Audiofreak71
52585023578__D5419B23-5624-47CF-BD93-F385E094D946.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Use the Analog. Let the OPPO do it's processing.

Analog means all the settings need to be done in the player. DSP means the settings are done in the receiver and you can use the sound fields and processing therein.

While it's a bit of work, I suggest careful setup both ways, forget about what may or may not be in the middle, and go with whichever way ends up sounding better. That's the goal after all, right?

Thanks for the replies. I tried asking Denon and they suggested I use the optical! How could they not know the optical can't handle the bandwidth of the new codecs? I replied and enlightened them.

Okay, I will try both settings. Currently the Ext In is set to analog and the players has all speakers large, equal distance and no delay. I will set the Denon to DSP mode for the inputs and put on a couple of scenes with lots of surround. I will then set it back to analog and set the player's parameters and set sound levels and play the same scenes. Will pick which sounds best. Will update once done.

Thanks again.

I am using my udp 203 with my Onkyo TX-nr1000 and Yamaha RXZ-1 the same way and you have to choose multi channel in on your receiver not sure what your denon calls it but it should be similar. Second all your controls I.E. Speaker size, distance, crossover settings and speakers volume is handled with the Oppo, if you go into speaker settings in the oppo you will see this, you will also choose to use 5.1 7.1 or just 2ch via the oppo as well.. Hope that helps.

Audiofreak71
View attachment 1009199

The settings screen you pasted is what mine shows currently, but for 7.1. See my other reply to what steps I'm going to take next.

Thanks for the input.

The settings screen you pasted is what mine shows currently, but for 7.1. See my other reply to what steps I'm going to take next.

Thanks for the input.
If you go into down mix you can change it to 5.1 7.1 or 2.1. Dsp is just a sound field so it's not going to flag the DTS HD master Dolby True HD signal but your oppo will do that if hooked up with your RCA's to multi channel in.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom