Pros and Cons for opening a Record Store?

I spoke to the guy who owns the store near me when I stupidly sold him all my vinyl a couple of years ago. He buys a lot of bulk collections from craigslist and the stuff he doesn't think will sell well in his store (space issues) he sends to buyers in Eastern Europe and still makes a profit of off them.

It's a tough business. We had 2 big independents go out of business here in the last year and you can't walk 10 feet here without bumpkng into an AK'er here.

Everytime I'm in one I wonder how they pay the bills....

I know someone close by who has run a record business out of his house for years. He doesn't see it as a sole income source. I would start at home by using whatever local free advertising you can access (craig's list / kijiji etc). Bottom line is the regulars will find you .....and they are the ones who will keep you in business. In terms of retail space : very romantic notion but unless you are in a big urban area I don't know if you'll have the market necessary to support a retail storefront. What about eventually making a deal for space with one of those music shops? Seems to me like they already host your crowd.... Overall I'm already seeing a lot of vinyl based product that was bought in the last 3 years coming back on the market. I believe it's because most people THINK vinyl is great, few stick with it or they buy their TT , some albums and the "look cool" factor is good enough for them.
On a different note I see the hobby / business thing as a conundrum : either they don't last long because the whole business model was driven by hobby/passion ...... or they make the business successful and the hobby/passion gets driven outta the picture. For those that can make it work : my hat is off .... good luck in your venture.

I'd find a hipster coffee house, ask for a little space for bins. Provide some nice speakers and a couple of Turntables with decent used receivers and head phones. Use the speakers in the shop to a table for them. Keep the headphones available for listeners. Encourage listening for free. Price the vinyl aggressively. Let the coffee shop have a piece if it gets going. Sell the coffee shop on added foot traffic from the vinyl.

Thanks guys you have all given me plenty to think about appreciate you given m e your time and advice which sounds very sensible too :thmbsp:

Humor

A store owner I know ... told me how to come up with a million dollars running a record store :yes:

He said the secret is to start out with 2 million. :D

There was a guy handing out $1 bills for 70 cents on street corner. A news crew walked up to him ... asked him "why are you doing this?" ... he replied "It beats the hell out of running a record store". :lmao:

On a serious note ... I wish someone would make a movie about Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds, Inc ... :tresbon: ... now that would be a movie worth seeing. :thmbsp:

Acoustic Sounds Office Tour With Chad Kassem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGIKnV29hTA

Last edited:
Hello Daza. Do you have a spare room in the house to turn into your Record Store? (I like Barkerd's thought on this)

I would think it would be the least gamble, plus a good tax write off. Plus it would be fun! If only my wife would let me...

On the way home, I recalled that one of the longtime Chicago area record stores, Second Hand Tunes in Evanston, recently shut down and consolidated into a warehouse that opens to the public once a month. They had a modest storefront maybe 20' x 40' and couldn't keep it going, or chose to focus on more lucrative online sales. Warehouse/home space is far less than retail, with lower insurance and payroll costs.

There's some romance to running a small shop, but that's pretty much the stuff of movies and novels. Running a small business, especially these days is a LOT of work.

There's some romance to running a small shop, but that's pretty much the stuff of movies and novels. Running a small business, especially these days is a LOT of work.

That's true! And if you opened a large store, you'd need to hire a few guys like these:

ChampionshipVinyl_zpsgxlz5abn.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello Daza. Do you have a spare room in the house to turn into your Record Store? (I like Barkerd's thought on this)

I would think it would be the least gamble, plus a good tax write off. Plus it would be fun! If only my wife would let me...

Yes I do actually it is my current music room for playing records and would easily hold albums for sale, I am also thinking the flyer idea is great have A2 size for windows of shops in town and smaller ones in stores like music instrument shops for people to take with them.

I think this will be a good way to start and will seriously consider this, also would need Dan to help with postage say a container load? :dunno::yes::D:scratch2:

Used to have a record store in Auckland in the 90’s

Step 1: find a good accountant.
Step 1: there is no step 2, that’s now the accountants job.

Really though, we had no business plan, I’m not a business guy so that wasn’t even a starter. It's really not that hard. Jus boils down to margins. If you can source stuff low and sell it high, you’re good. That simple. Of course, don’t hire anyone. Financial suicide. It’s all you, sitting there, day after day, bored out of your brains. Nobody’s come in for 2 whole days now haha.

In Gisborne? The market for lp's would be suicidally small. Non starter. You’d be better off going with 70% band shirts. They were our big earner.

Listening post was a real puzzler for me. Didn’t have one so would get dickheads bringing a stack of lp’s up, asking if they can hear them, then they'd proceed to commandeer the shop speakers for 30 minutes…then leave without buying anything. One guy did it for 2 hours! Soon gave up on that malarkie.

Start by selling on discogs. That’s what I do now. About 4,000 records on there. In hindsight, my store never even had enough stuff right from the start. At least 10,000 would be a minimum. And a supply source of cheapos. Nothing worse than revisiting a store and its exactly the same as 2 weeks ago.

Used stuff is your staple. New stuff these days is an exorbitant luxury that will look good in store but you will not make any profit off. If it's US$10 wholesale, then by the time it gets to your shelf you'll need to pruce it at NZ$30+ just to make a couple of bucks off it. If it even sells at all. And by the way, you will not even earn a living wage from this. You would seriously make more $$ off the dole. Any money you make goes to securing more stuff. I can send you some links to wholesale sources if you are insane enough to still want to do this. Yet, I am here, drawn to this thread, reading about it, and daydreaming about doing it all again haha

Some good advice here Daza but isn't the economy in New Zealand right now struggling?
If it is its imperative you have an online business to generate income worldwide.
Also not using YOUR money in any business venture is rule number one. With that in mind work your business out of your house and build up clientele.

Any updates Daza?

I'm still selling out of the spare room on discogs as well as the occasional "customer by appointment". Also still daydreaming about leasing my next shop...

rec2_zpskpbizzvt.jpg

SN3N6433_zpsp8akt2og.jpg.html

Why would anyone waste money on rent when there's Discogs/Ebay? My local makes more money off of detox kits (weed and such) than record sales, that's in a city of 500,000 with 1 other record store.

And then you have shipping expenses to NZ that alone would eat up any profits. I doubt you would vbe able to find enough inventory locally.

A few people here mentioned selling instruments. Personally I think it’s far more important to sell stereo gear, especially turntables. If you have technical ability a few ‘serviced’ receivers, integrated amps, speakers, turntables should be on a shelf in your shop, as well as a few new items, such as inexpensive phono preamps as well as maybe a few decent entry-level turntables. Then when people wander into the store by themselves or with a friend they’ll be tempted to get into the vinyl game as well,

I'd find a hipster coffee house, ask for a little space for bins. Provide some nice speakers and a couple of Turntables with decent used receivers and head phones. Use the speakers in the shop to a table for them. Keep the headphones available for listeners. Encourage listening for free. Price the vinyl aggressively. Let the coffee shop have a piece if it gets going. Sell the coffee shop on added foot traffic from the vinyl.

There is a record store in the area that basically does this. I think they started out as a record store, but make most of their money as a cafe/sandwhich shop. It is very popular.

Basically the cafe is supporting the record store from what I can tell. But, it is an awesome combination and a great place!

Oh, and they sell small (nice) starter stereo equipment too. They keep like one turntable and a few pairs of speakers on hand, maybe an integrated amp. Nothing that takes up much room.

Back
Top Bottom