Proton 440 and NE5532A Opamp

DanTana

I have been curious to use these opamps now for some time and finally opened up my Proton 440 and this time I put in 8 pin DIP sockets so I can quick change opamps quickly in the future. I put in the NE5532A opamps in and fired it up. Overall I was very surprised it was so clean sounding. Midrange was a little more forward, but the bass was unchanged. The highs seemed just a tad more rolled off than the OPA2604's. Then I did some A/B comparisons with it and my Philips AH6731. Bass surprisingly was a little stronger on the Proton 440, the midrange seemed more up front, but the highs were not as strong. The Philips though seemed much more full bodied overall, probably more lower mid or upper bass extension. The Proton seemed like a much more musical tuner than before, but the Philips just had a little more presence. The soundstage on the Proton was very wide the Philips seemed more centered. At least now I can swap and try new opamps in the Proton quickly and listen to the changes easily.

Back
Top Bottom